ScubaPro MK25/G500 & MK16/S600 rebuild opinions - Do I bother?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So after rebuilding my Zeagle sets, I figured I'd look into doing the GF's SP sets. I was a bit surprised to see her older MK16 was actually a diaphragm type and not piston since i was hoping to do that one as practice before starting on her primary set. Can't even say when the last time that set was even used - I only found it while digging through the bin of miscellaneous dive gear she had ferreted away. Anyways, I know I'll need to get the Peter-built multi-tool and a piston/seat tool to do the MK-25 if I go there but I'm debating on whether to bother with the MK16/S600 rebuild at all, being it is a diaphragm and a non-adjustable 2nd. She uses an Air II for her octo if that matters and I don't think we will ever need a set for a stage bottle.

Guess what I'm really asking is should I bother starting in with any of the SP rebuilds at all? I have 3 Zeagle reg sets so it seems that for Zeagles at least, with 8 regs it make sense afa the $ savings. She is more than fine with getting the MK25/G500/Air II serviced at the LDS and I wouldn't have to deal with sourcing rebuild kits, purchasing tooling, etc for just 3 regs. On the other hand, I could sell the MK16/S600 set and cover some of the cost of tooling and kits. I do enjoy the work and satisfaction of completing it and already have the US cleaner, cristolube, and other general shop tools.

Sticking with one brand make stocking parts, getting tools etc easier. Getting SP parts can be an expensive pain in the ass. I own Apeks, SP and Aqualung and although I can get parts and tools fairly easily it gets expensive and somewhat onerous buying parts from different vendors and keeping track of spares on hand. I kinda wish I only had one brand and one model but I just can't seem to let most of it go, I like my different models for different reasons, and I do like distraction, hunt, learning experience etc. I now own more "specialized" scuba tools than I do standard tools, don't need most but wanted them anyway, and enough spares to open a small shop.

Last edited:
I do enjoy the work and satisfaction of completing it
Your have the answer already.
Find out what you need for the work and decide if it is worth the bother.

Sticking with one brand make stocking parts, getting tools etc easier. Getting SP parts can be an expensive pain in the ass. I own Apeks, SP and Aqualung and although I can get parts and tools fairly easily it gets expensive and somewhat onerous buying parts from different vendors and keeping track of spares on hand. I kinda wish I only had one brand and one model but I just can't seem to let most of it go, I like my different models for different reasons, and I do like distraction, hunt, learning experience etc. I now own more "specialized" scuba tools than I do standard tools, don't need most but wanted them anyway, and enough spares to open a small shop.

so I was really hoping for an opinion on whether I should jump into this or not. I'm thinking the MK16 likely isn't worth it - I've got the Zeagles that can serve as her back up if needed. AFA the MK20/G500, I'm thinking those are something worth holding onto. $70ish in tooling isn't that much but yes what is more disconcerting is getting her service parts. I see the only kit on fleabay runs almost $50 from GB. May be better to just let her LDS deal with it.

I'm not a huge fan of the MK16, but it clearly works well and I think there might be an upgrade of sorts to the MK17 poppet, I can't really remember. It's been several years since I worked on a MK16. The S600 2nd stage, if that's what really it is paired with it, is user adjustable and similar to the G500, just newer. I bet you meant a different 2nd stage if it is not adjustable.

IMO the MK20/G500 is a very nice reg set and not difficult to work on, so I would keep that for sure. There is a bushing tool that makes the job much much easier and ensures the bushings are installed correctly, but it's only about $20. You don't really need the SP multi tool if you have pin spanners that fit. I have one of the multi tools and I use it all the time, but I also have a closet full of SP 1st stages.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the 2nd is a S550 1st gen after looking it up on the SP timeline - so a 600 without the adjuster. Not sure how hard it would be to source the knob assembly and convert it if I went that way but it's an option. I did find a MK16 kit on fleabay for $24 shipped so will likely rebuild and sell. May as well just get the tools and do it since it seems I'm really leaning that way (plus it's enjoyable for me). Any advice for finding service kits other than through eBay? I'm seeing stuff on VDH but wonder if there are others

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom