ScubaPro MK25/G260 service help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That special tool will not fit over a conventional LP hose nut to engage the Scubapro knurled nut. But soft jawed pliers work fine or just wrap the knurled nut with a piece of inner tube and use regular pliers. You might even consider replacing the knurled nut with a conventional nut.

Thank you, is there a specific SP part number to replace with a conventional nut? That seems easier and probably cheaper than trying to get the specific tool.

Thank you, is there a specific SP part number to replace with a conventional nut? That seems easier and probably cheaper than trying to get the specific tool.

Not that I know of but the bore and thread size are standard to accept an LP hose so it should just be a matter of finding a jam nut of about the right length from any manufacturer. In the mean time, a protective wrap and a pair of pliers should work fine to manage that jam nut. I have seen some regs including scubapro 2nds that add an o-ring between the case and the jam nut to act as a torque cushion which seems smart with plastic cases.

Not that I know of but the bore and thread size are standard to accept an LP hose so it should just be a matter of finding a jam nut of about the right length from any manufacturer. In the mean time, a protective wrap and a pair of pliers should work fine to manage that jam nut. I have seen some regs including scubapro 2nds that add an o-ring between the case and the jam nut to act as a torque cushion which seems smart with plastic cases.

I will do as you suggest, thank you for your help.

I bought a pair of used G260's a few years ago and was able to rebuild them easily without a manual. If I remember correctly they use the same poppet as the G250 but have an adjustable balance chamber. The MK25 is one of the easiest 1st stages I have serviced. The MK20/25 assembly tool is nice to have for aligning the bushings and "O" ring but not necessary.

IMG_0056.jpg

This does the 2nd stage jam nuts and the pin body on the first stage
Scubapro Multi-Tool, Brass Chrome

The first stage assembly tool
Scubapro Mk20/Mk25 Assembly Tool

With the S600 and G250 the older regs need a tool to adjust the balance chamber, not sure this applies to the G260. If this is the case it may be cheaper to upgrade the balance chamber adjuster. There is a guy in Japan selling this upgrade for about $40 each.

Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool

With respect to holding the jam nut when fitting hoses, the balance chamber has a square end that fits into the body, it will not turn when you tighten the hose - assuming you are using appropriate torque!
Some of the regs have plastic jam nuts, there crack easily if over torqued - they are really just there to keep the balance chamber in place and don't require much force, as mentioned earlier these can be an o-ring between the nut and body.

This does the 2nd stage jam nuts and the pin body on the first stage
Scubapro Multi-Tool, Brass Chrome

The first stage assembly tool
Scubapro Mk20/Mk25 Assembly Tool

With the S600 and G250 the older regs need a tool to adjust the balance chamber, not sure this applies to the G260. If this is the case it may be cheaper to upgrade the balance chamber adjuster. There is a guy in Japan selling this upgrade for about $40 each.

Scubapro Balanced Chamber Tool

With respect to holding the jam nut when fitting hoses, the balance chamber has a square end that fits into the body, it will not turn when you tighten the hose - assuming you are using appropriate torque!
Some of the regs have plastic jam nuts, there crack easily if over torqued - they are really just there to keep the balance chamber in place and don't require much force, as mentioned earlier these can be an o-ring between the nut and body.

Thanks very much for the information, very useful, I'll look into it. cheers.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2015 at 10:40 PM ----------

Does anyone know if the G260 requires the tool for the balance chamber? Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom