Scubapro MK21 VS MK25 for Single Tank and Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shinythings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at getting new regs in preparation for tech in the fall. I have been a big fan of my Aqualung Legend for a while now but I can get key person pricing on new Scubapro regs... so here we are.

My biggest problem with the MK25 is how big of a cluster bleep the stupid turret is. The hoses come out of it in all kinds of directions and I really do just hate it. As far as doubles it is a great first stage with the bottom port, but I don't know if I could deal with it for my single tank dives.

I would still be doing a fair number of single tank dives on the regs (switching hoses around to make it work). I plan on buying 3 so I can use one as a stage reg. I like the way the MK21 port outlets are angled, and you can get the optional cap that has the 5th port out the bottom for doubles.

My question is, what is the big difference between the two regs and should I get the MK25 for tech, or will the MK21 do the job just as well?

Thanks for your input.

I have three sets of MK25 + S600 for the same reason. One set for stage and other two for doubles, which I change sometimes to single tank (one MK25 stays a home).
If I don't remember port connections, I use this Halcyon catalog (need to wait to download) for reference.
H-75 is a clone of MK25.
Page 40 for single tank configuration and Page 41 for doubles.
As you can see in both cases 5-th port is in used.
Can't help with MK21, as I don't have any.

Thanks for the link. It give me a better idea of how I could set up for single tanks.

I use a Mk25 for my singles rig.
I'm not using the 5th port; the turret points down. The hose routing is fine.

I have seen others using the 5th port; the reg is at an angle.

Try them both and see which you prefer.

My partner, me and my 3 kids use MK25/s600/s600 reg setups on single tanks. 4 of use have the turret down (towards the tank) and one has the turret up. My partner has a dry suit so uses the 4 ports around the swivel this is fine. They are not evenly spaced, they are set to put two hoses to either side.

No hassle for any of us.

SP makes you pay for the 5th port upgrade on the mk21? It probably costs them more to manufacture two different parts than it would be to put the 5th port on all the regs. Instead they can charge you an inflated price for the upgrade and make more money. BUT, more towards your question I dive a what some would call a "cheap knock off of a Apeks" reg with a swivel turret and bottom port. I use the swivel port for the long hose with the reg tilted.

Last edited:
I have always thought the MkV and the current 25 to be fairly compact first stages. Most people do not use the end port, if they even have it, for single tank diving. Nowadays with the current fashion of wearing the tank hiked up over the head it seems the preferred orientation is turret down. I prefer the turret up and I wear my tank relatively lower than most do today.I like the turret up because it allows the hoses to find their natural routing. Either way, up or down, for single tank diving is preferred over using the end port. On the other hand, with doubles, the end port can provide use routing advantages so it is nice to have that flexibility the design offers.

N

SP makes you pay for the 5th port upgrade? It probably costs them more to manufacture two different parts than it would be to put the 5th port on all the regs. Instead they can charge you an inflated price for the upgrade and make more money. BUT, more towards your question I dive a what some would call a "cheap knock off of a Apeks" reg with a swivel turret and bottom port. I use the swivel port for the long hose with the reg tilted.

What are you talking about? The latter MK-5, MK-10, MK-15, MK-19, MK-20, MK-25 all have the fifth port standard. I am not sure about the MK-14. MK-18, and some of the older models like the MK-8 and 9.

The MK-21 has a tech option that gives a fifth port and different hose routing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom