Question Scubapro MK20 swivel retainer failure questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that this does not include the Mk19EVO, which has a 7mm hex instead of 7/32".
That swivel is 10.719.105
Is the thread pitch different too?

I dive and maintain Scuba Pro MK10s MK10+ and MK20s and was servicing an MK20 when the swivel retainer cracked off while I was torquing it to the spec for brass of 35 lbs/inch. I had that sick feeling trying to acheive this very low torque before the retainer separated.

I am glad that torquing identified this problem, because a cracked or weak retainer would result in a catastrophic failure underwater.

I found a replacement part online, but the retainers are no longer available from Scubagaskets. This retainer is compatible with the MK10s and MK20, so common.

Have you heard about this kind of failure? Makes me want to change out all the swivel retainers for the other regs when I service them.

Do you know of another source for these retainers?

Swivel retainer for Scubapro as part no: 10.500.104, Also the nylon washer for MK20 swivel as part no 01.060.500.

Thanks,

Stan
I know this post is a little long in the tooth, and everyone commenting is far more knowledgeable than I am, but wasn’t this reg recalled by SP for a problem like this? I was recently researching my old titanium version of it (I haven’t been diving since the beginning of Covid and I’m really getting the itch!) and this came up in my searches.

No. The part was charged from brass to steel long ago, and the torque was raised from 35 to 70 in-lb with the steel fitting.
The recall you are thinking of may have been the Mk20 body cracking recall due to the old yoke bolts. The yoke bolt was redesigned to prevent this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom