Scubapro Mk20 and g500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SP has stated the yoke retainer needs to be changed and the parts were supplied, more accurately the shop had to order them, at no cost of course. I can't remember which technical bulletin or when it came out. It was also covered in a training seminar I attended. I happen to know the guy who found the cracked regs that led to SP changing the yoke. The fault wasn't with SP, it was the technician who over tightened the yoke retainers, but SP had to come up with a way to prevent it from happening again. When I service a reg (mk20) the yoke retainer is always checked. I used to have a box full of the replacement yoke retainers and saddle, but that number is diminishing, albeit at a slower rate since I've already changed many (returning customers) of them.

So it sounds like it was a 'soft' recall, sort of like a TSB, meaning if one came into the shop, dealers took care of it. But SP never sent notifications to customers to bring their MK20 into a dealer specifically for that procedure. More like, when someone brought one in for service, the new part was included.

I am aware that the real issue here was some technicians grossly over-tightening the yoke retainers, and that the inherent design was fine as long as factory torque specs were used. The universal retainer is simply more idiot-proof.

I cannot find any evidence that the "recall" was sent to the customer-only to the dealers & service centers. Here are a few attachments for your viewing enjoyment.

Attachments

• MK20 DEALER SERVICE ALERT.pdf
    158 KB · Views: 98
  • MK20 Yoke Retainer Illustration.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 66
  • MK20 Yoke Retainer Recall.PDF
    962.8 KB · Views: 147
So it sounds like it was a 'soft' recall, sort of like a TSB, meaning if one came into the shop, dealers took care of it. But SP never sent notifications to customers to bring their MK20 into a dealer specifically for that procedure. More like, when someone brought one in for service, the new part was included.

In order to notify an owner of a recall that manufacturer must have that person's contact info. People can (should) register their gear online, however, many don't or are unaware that it can be done. Those who register their gear are informed of a recall, if their contact info is up-to-date. Keep in mind, items are sold, given, or regifted to other people. How does a manufacture track who has ownership of a particular item, let alone where they are, what their phone number, e-mail, or address is?

I find it amazing how people baulk when they are not notified of something, yet they scream and howel when it comes to entities (companies, organizations, government agencies, etc.) that gather personal data. At the moment notifying dive shops/operators and posting on the manufacutres website appears to be the solution to informing the owners of a recall.

In order to notify an owner of a recall that manufacturer must have that person's contact info. People can (should) register their gear online, however, many don't or are unaware that it can be done. Those who register their gear are informed of a recall, if their contact info is up-to-date.

So, did SP send notices to the MK20 owners that they were aware of, instructing them to take their regulator to a dealer to get the yoke retainer changed?

So, did SP send notices to the MK20 owners that they were aware of, instructing them to take their regulator to a dealer to get the yoke retainer changed?

This I don't know.

Well I also have a chance to pick up a mk 5 for cheap and thinking of going that route instead of the mk 20, due to the cost of the mk 5 service kit. Thoughts (@couv, @rhwestfall, @rsingler@halocline )on which of these is easier to rebuild, which is the better 1st stage, and accessibility to parts kits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom