Scubapro Mk16/G250 and the Alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_of_All_Tyrants

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone-

I'm thinking of getting into my local diving scene, and am considering regulator purchases.

I live in Virginia. My diving conditions will be some of the local quarries, and perhaps bimonthly trips to wrecks off the Carolinas, Chesapeake, Delmarva or NJ. Surface temperatures range from the 50s to the 80s depending on the time I would dive. For at least the first 2 years or so I plan to work my way to my AOW certification, and intend to do nothing deeper than 100' or so. In the five-year period I may start playing with Nitrox, etc. but am not going to worry about that now.

Having reviewed some of the previous threads here (and having been educated in Scubapro-only shops), I've selected the Scubapro Mk16/G250 combo as my baseline.
This is not environmentally sealed, correct?

Alternative regulators I'm considering (I'm limiting myself to these due to logistical considerations):

Aqualung Titan LX
Aqualung Legend LX [is environmentally sealed]
Mares Abyss
Sherwood Blizzard

I know that these regulators aren't 100% comparable. Still, can anyone discuss the pros and cons of each model versus the Scubapro? Are there other regulators that I should consider for my diving conditions?

Thanks!

Yes, Apeks. ATX200, ATX100, or ATX50

I have SP and Apeks. Both are great and the most referred regulators in many scuba forums. SP MK16/G250 must be the special order and is great, too. But, SP MK17 is on EU market already. MK18 has been gone. So, go figure!

I have Apeks DS4/TX50's on my doubles and Scubapro MK16/G250 for my single tank. Both regs are great and I don't know that I really have a preference for one over the other.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

Back
Top Bottom