Scubapro Mk11 lack of environmental sealing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still prefer to seal my Atomic 1st stages, and at the same time I recommend to a friend in Florida to leave hers unsealed.
I have a pair of MK10s that I sealed, mostly as an experiment. I haven't had them apart since, at least five years, but I suspect they will be pristine when I do. If someone has piston regs that are capable of being environmentally sealed and has access to a tech that knows how to do it, and doesn't mind spending the extra money at service (I imagine an atomic dealer would charge for installing Christolube) then sure it's a good idea. I don't bother with my other regs because I'm a warm, clean guy, at least when it comes to what kind of water I dive in, lol.

Yes, judging from Rob's experience, I expect your Mk10s to be pristine inside. Let us know! :)

Sealing piston regs is not that bad for a DIY person, and Tribolube 71 is not that expensive.

From a dive shop perspective, they stand a better chance to make some money if a customer shows up with a sealed diaphragm 1st stage that needs minimum labor, and just an expensive parts kit with good profit margin: Quick turnaround, no corrosion inside, no surprises, all parts are in the kit.

I won't give up my Atomic 1st stages though....

Back
Top Bottom