Scubapro Mk10+/R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Just saw one of these on Ebay for not too much. I sorta know what to expect with the R190 (basic unbalanced second stage), but other than DA Aquamaster's excellent summary of SP regs I wanted to get yall's feedback & opinions about the MK10+. As far as I can gather it's a balanced piston design (ancestor of Mk25?) but I know nothing about what to expect as far as performance. I expect that a SP piston reg would be pretty bulletproof.

The auction ends in 4 hours. Might be something to shoot for. Is it?

cheers

Billy S.

By the time you buy it and have it serviced and tuned, you will have spent more than it takes to buy a new Mares Axis Pro from scubatoys and have a full warranty. Not to mention a brand new item, too.
(or, for that matter, an MK16 with R290.)

The $99.00 starting bid is reasonable and shipping is another $15.00 which is maybe a bit steep. An annual service will run you another $50.00 plus parts most places, so you'll have about $185-$200 into the reg when you are done.

While that is not a super deal, it is also not a bad price either for what would be a good performing reg that is much more capable than a new Mk 2 R190 at around $250 and with performance comparable to a new Mk 16 R380 at about $340.

My personal preference would be to have a G250 second stage, but then that would put the bidding up around $150 for a Mk 10 Plus / G250 in good condition.

Performance wise the Mk 10 did about 90-110 SCFM in its regular form and the concave seat and rounded piston of the Mk 10 Plus increased this performance substantially putting it in the MK 16 range at around 150-170 SCFM.

I can't really tell for sure, but I do not see either a SPEC boot or a groove for the boot. The abscence of the groove for the boot makes it an early to mid production Mk 10 that predates both the plus kit and the R190 second stage.

My best guess is that it is an upgraded Mk 10 with the Plus kit and a new style knob added. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it is something to be aware of.

The R190 also looks to be in very good condition as they pick up scratches on the cover and exhaust tee with virtually any use. The cover is also a recent style so I suspect it is relatively new.

It is definitely a mixed and matched regulator but it is none the less still a good combination.

I should also add that it is not uncommon for a good Mk 10 first stage to bring $100-$110 all by itself, so if the bidding stays low, you are getting the R190 for free.

Thanx for the info, I'll have to keep it in mind for next time. As it turns out, I was outbid anyway...guy must have really wanted that reg. Probably a good thing...I already won a Guyatone fuzz pedal on Ebay this week, I really shouldn't be tossing money out like that. :p

cheers

Billy S.

I agree with DA. Although there are alot of good deals on Ebay it depnds on what the final sale price is. Unless you are getting away with buying the thing for less than half price after shipping service parts and everything else, I wouldn't bother. There are alot of conshelf regs on ebay that sell for no more than 50 bucks said and done, and after service you are looking at $150 max for a reg setup which is a good price. I think that by the time the auction closes the end price for you the user will be not worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom