Scubapro Jets - XL & XXL sizing issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndyNZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm sure someone here has had the same problem, so posting here rather than the equipment forum.

I've been using a pair of XXL jet fins for the last three years, and they used to fit perfectly - but I recently changed my drysuit and the fins now wobble when kicking. It's barely noticeable, but enough to annoy me when I do notice it.

Jets are quite hard to get here in NZ, so after a few months of putting up with it I bought the bullet and ordered a pair of XLs online. Unfortunately, the XLs are too small - I can squeeze my foot into the fin pocket about up to the ball of my foot. It's tight, so I know it's going to cramp like hell if I tried to use them.

If XL is too small, and XXL is too large.... what do you do? Has anyone modified the foot pocket on the fins at all?

Do other "jet style" fins have the same crazy sizing?

That's probably the most common complaint about Jets. XLs are "regular" sized, XXLs are cavernous. I think the typical solution is to try Turtle Fins, which slot in right between Jetfin XL and XXL. They're slightly more buoyant and the rubber is slightly more flexy though.

Edit: this may be helpful for you: http://www.alohashoredivers.com/projects/fins/index.html

By "more buoyant", is that less negative or are they truely positively buoyant?

I can get the OMS copy, but I think they are the identical sizing to the jets.

Hmm, I don't recall. I'm pretty sure Turtles with spring straps are still negatively buoyant, though closer to neutral than jets.

I edited my original reply with a link that may be helpful for you re. sizing.

Hey Andy, I rivetted rubber inserts inside the pocket with stainless rivets and big stainless washers and it solved the problem perfectly.. tailor your pocket to perfection
:D

My girlfriend had a similar problem. She has a DUI dry suit with the rock boots. None of the SP Jets would quite work. She had to shop around and finally ended up with OMS Slipstreams that fit right. By the time it was over we had several fins from different manufacturers to return. She tried the Turtles also but they were just too big. Of course, now the fins she purchased don't work well with neoprene (they are too big for that). That's OK because we only use them when we are caving or wreck diving and nearly always have the dry suit on.

Don't modify the footpocket - modify the foot!

I use the Jet XL's. When I them with my 3mm wetsuit w/ my 5mm booties, the fins fit perfectly. However, when I use my DS (TLS350 w/ the built in booties - not the shoe-type) - the fins seem loose. I corrected this by using 3mm "socks" that I use w/ my freediving fins. I put the socks on first (with the undergarment), then "don" the DS. The socks take up some extra space in the foot area. Those socks also come in 1mm and 5mm thicknesses so you may be able to see which one works best.

Hope it helped.

By "more buoyant", is that less negative or are they truely positively buoyant?

I can get the OMS copy, but I think they are the identical sizing to the jets.

The XXL OMS copy is not sized the same as the XXL Jet. The OMS XXL is the size the XXL Jets SHOULD be. I have a pair, and they really fit the bill. I have US size 14 feet, and they fit pretty much perfectly with my DUI rock boots. The Turtles are a little larger (primarily wider.)

I think you are correct about the smaller sizes being comparable to the Jets, but the XXL are definitely different. The fins are also made of a lighter weight rubber than the Jets. They still sink in saltwater, but are close to neutral without spring straps. Also, they tend to wear a lot faster, but what doesn't? In two years of heavy use, the fins show quite a few scuffs, and scrapes, but it's purely cosmetic.

Tom

I took my XL jets dunked them in a pot of hot water for about a minute and shoved a steel toed boot inside and let them cool. They fit perfect now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom