Scubapro G500 => S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can a G500 be upgraded to a S600?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2013 at 06:43 PM ----------

Thanks to my local technician I can now answer my own question: yes.

What upgrade? Looking at the schematics the only thing I see different between the latter G500 and S600 is the covers.

The barrel of the G500 is metal. My tech recommended going to the plastic--doesn't corrode, self lubricating, and light. They can hairline crack where the metal screw attaches, but it's easy to catch at the annual servicing and the replacements are free. Scubapro has a titanium barrel--$130 (retail)--which is the best. I almost went for it, but my tech said it's not worth it if you service your reg annually.

My G500 (first model) was entirely converted to a new S600, inside and out. Breathes great. Only my old G250 is comparable. None of my Balanced Adjustables are quite as easy, though they are all more than easy enough for me.

Just picked up a new G250V. Doesn't compete with the S600 or my old G250 right out of the box. We'll see after I have it tuned up and dialed in. Very solid looking and feeling reg, though.

I'd advise leaving it alone. The older US made (black purge covered G500s) were nearly perfect and are far superior to any variant of the S600. The metal air barrel is a plus in terms of better heat transfer and reduced dry mouth - in addition to not having cracking issues. If a tech advises you to upgrade one to an S600 he's either ignorant (or maybe an idiot), or he lacks the special adjustment to properly adjust the balance chamber (an air on adjustment), or he just doesn't want to do the extra adjustment step needed on them.

The later Italian made (grey purge covered) G500s are not quite in the same league but as is, they breathe just as well as an S600, so again the only advantages to upgrading them are in terms of reducing the tech's workload, and giving up a metal air barrel for that is pretty stupid.

Hi DA. Thanks for the comments, as usual.

Yes, my G500 was the original US-made version. That's what I was looking for at the time and that's why I bought it. My heart did pinch a bit as I watched my technician transform it into an S600. But I cannot complain--the S600 (early version, cosmetically) looks beautiful and breathes amazingly well.

In defense of my technician, he did not advise me to upgrade, not at all. In fact, his initial response was, "Why would you want to do that?" I asked him to do it. I am the ignorant idiot. But there was a tiny issue with that G500--something about the cover alignment, perhaps because of the diaphragm, meant that you couldn't quite screw down the cover all the way. One upshot was that a good squeeze or bang on the body could result in the cover popping off. In any case, for better or worse, I now have a new S600 instead of my old G500. And now I also don't have a reg that I would still like to own and that I can now keep a look out for.

As for metal vs plastic barrel: I was a bit torn. My dives are long, sometimes over 2 hours. So dry mouth could be an issue, we'll see. I am used to diving metal barrel regs. But I am now doing over 100 circa 2-hour dives/year here in harsh salt water conditions. While I do indeed soak my regs well after dives, the possibility of corrosion is an issue (it is not unusual around here for frequent divers to find "science experiments" growing in their regs). If the plastic barrel turns out to be an issue, I can have my technician toss in a titanium one in five minutes time.

I am confused now. I own the Italian G500s with a the grey purge, I am 90% sure they have a plastic air barrel. I remember comparing them part for part off the schematics from Frogkick. They were identical except for the cover components. Now I am told that the newer model S600s reverted back to using a metal barrel, which would seem to make it equivalent to the older black purge G500s. So why would the tech put in a part that was now superseded? I am interested in this because I thought at some point I would convert my G500s to the metal barrel of the latest edition S600.

I personally hated my old S600 and could not stand the plastic barrel as it did give noticeable dry mouth and was finicky in cold water. I recently converted it to the new metal barrel and it's like day and night. Worked well in 36F water and the dry mouth effect is not that bad.

From a tech's point of view, a metal barrel can corrode--the tiniest bit of corrosion on the inside of the barrel can affect performance. Dry mouth is apparently an issue from the diver's perspective. I'm diving my S600 for the first time tomorrow, and then again on Sun and Mon. After a long weekend of diving perhaps I can comment on dry mouth.

How about a "off on a tangent question. I just got a great deal on an almost new MK25/S555. I know all about the MK25, but can't find much info on S555. Nice myflex type hose but does not seem too impressive to me. Would expect to see MK25 mated with 600 or 700 second. I'm not a ScubaPro guy, but could not pass up the deal, figured it would make a good reg. for the pool and student check outs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom