Scubapro Frameless Classic vs. Atomic Frameless Ultraclear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMC_Recon

Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping some could give me some more insight on which I should go with. I looking at purchasing a mask and have gotten to my to top picks. I have been reading and looking at both the Scubapro Frameless Classic and the Atomic Frameless Ultraclear. I notice from every where that I have been reading that people love both masks but I am trying to get some insight as which would be better for me. Any help is appreciated.

you should go with whichever one fits better, it's the only way to "pick" a mask.. (or neither, if neither truly fits.)

I agree with Damsel. Fit is the absolute most important thing when considering a new mask. If you paid 1000 dollars for a mask and it does not fit properly then it is just a 1000 dollar paperweight.

To get a proper fit:
-Try the first mask on. DO NOT worry about the strap. In fact leave it off.
-Look in a mirror. Make sure the inner seal is making contact with skin all the way around with out inhaling. The inner seal should not be running over your eyes or through eyebrows. If it is it is not contacting skin, making it more likely to leak.
-Make sure you nose fits the nose pocket well. Same with the frame between the eyes, it should not contact the skin. The lightest contact on the surface will become a major problem in the water.
-Compare the 2 masks at a time. Pick 2, try them on. Hold on the to best fitting one, put the other back on the shelf, grab another one. Compare the one you kept with the one you picked up. Eliminate one, grab a new one. Repeat until you have the best fitting mask. Comparing 2 at a time is easier than more at the same time.
-If the one you end up with is an uncommon, or hard to find mask and your traveling buy 2. That way you do not have to spend your vacation dive time trying to locate a replacement for a lost, damaged, or stolen mask.

Between those two, the Atomic. However there are several other frameless types that are similar to the Atomic including one by Scuba Pro. The Atomic is a great mask. N

I strongly recommend Scubapro's framless mask. I am a big supportor of LDS's but Leisure Pro offers this mask for $49.95 which normally retails for $115.00.

i have the atomic and its been the best mask ive ever owned. if it fits your face, youll love it

brett

Fit is everything. I use the Scubapro frameless and think it is great, but have drooled over the Atomic ever since it came out (I believe the Atomic has a slightly larger "look down" field of view than the Scubapro). I'm very happy with the Scubapro frameless so I can't justify purchasing the Atomic, but the Atomic does look like a terrific mask.

However, the one that fits you the best is the best choice.

Best wishes.

Another plug for the Atomic. Do note it comes in two sizes - Regular and Medium - so when you're trying them on be sure to try "the other size" if the first one doesn't fit right.

Last edited:
I just two weeks pruchased an Atomic frameless medium, my face is narrow,after spending heaps on masks that fit well in the shop but leak in the water, I had an apollo Bio-metal leaked, Mares liqiud vision leaked, cressi Micra leaked, Tusa framless leaked and several more over the years that I cant remember, the Atomic rocks, perfect fit and doesnt leak at all and even if I havent shaved for a few days it still seals fine...I am going to buy another as its the first mask that hasnt leaked..a bit spendy tho although was cheaper than the Bio-metal...the bio-metal is a cool mask but for me leaky which is bit of a shame coz I did like it, it didnt leak heaps but enough to bug me...if the Atomic fits your face Id say go for it...not sure if the "ultra clear" part is a sales pitch or not as cant say Ive noticed any difference...sounds nice tho..goodluck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom