scubapro first stage differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a trip on which I used my MK2 and MK15 1st stages, with an older G250, balanced adjustable, and R190 2nd stage. I just switched them around for several dives. What I found out was not really unexpected; at depths down to 100ft (that's as deep as I went on this trip) I could not tell a difference between the MK2 and MK15 1st stages, even at 500PSI, although I was never deeper than 20 ft at that tank pressure. I could, however, tell a difference between the R190 and G250, with both 1st stages, and the balanced adjustable felt identical to the G250. Unfortunately, I didn't have the same mouthpiece for the B/A, so it was not as comfortable in my mouth. The G250 (and B/A) were "smoother" (for lack of a better word) breathing than the R190, although to be honest, I've never felt that the R190 was in any way inadequate for my use; normal breathing under recreational conditions.

Regarding the increased effort of breathing at low tank pressure for the unbalanced MK2, once again I was impressed by how people tend to overstate this apparent "problem." On one of my dives, I decided to extend my safety stop to see how the MK2 fared as the tank pressure really dropped; with the G250 2nd stage, I was still having trouble noticing any difference in breathing effort at 300psi, at which point I decided to surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom