Scubapro dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReelDuel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How much should I budget to spend on purchasing a BCD, Regs, Octo, Console, Computer, Fins, Mask, Wet suit, booties. I am just trying to figure out what it should cost to get good quality equipment for someone who is going to dive 10-15 times a year. The wife and I finished our open water certification and are wanting to get the things we need to dive together on our own. The internet is a great thing but it also raises tons of questions too. I know there are tons of different ways to go just looking for a ballpark price.

Thank You, ReelDuel

depends on what you want. Im looking at getting all the same stuff, just two regs instead of an octo, since i want to progress to deep tech diving. my first setup I budgeted about 1500. Im getting a ranger ltd, 50d regs, a nitec comp for the $$ stuff. go to your local LDS. the internet can have great prices, but you don't get the customer service like a LDS. Alot of LDS will frown upon you if you buy off the internet and them bring it to them for service. GO to the LDS, tell them what and how much you plan on diving and take from there.

Why are you hell bent on Scubapro? Its a top notch brand with top notch prices but why pay $$$ for things like wetsuit + boots when that can be acquired cheaper. I would buy a reg from Scubapro and of course jetfins. The rest Id try to get from elsewhere

For non SP(used stuff even)$1000 pp on up to ????2 to 3k(new & SP prices)---take your pick.....I'll ask again, why are you stuck on SP???....

I am not stuck on SP, just my friends who I will be diving with all use SP. I just want the best I can get for my money!! Once again I want to get safe equipment with good warranties(heck if you die using it who cares at that point) Must be the legal beagle in me(or my wife). What would you think it should cost for this gear??

The wife and I were just OW certified and I do not want to rent gear to dive.. Like owning a house VS renting. Understand where I am coming from...

Thank you for helping

Fred

I too am a fan of Scuba Pro and bought most of my gear retail in 2006. I didn’t price shop at all just bought what I felt was the best equipment for me. I didn’t want to buy cheap stuff and wish I had bought better later on, I am NOT saying bad things about other gear just that I liked what I saw in Scuba Pro. Fred I sent you a PM with some more detailed info on what I bought.

Scubapro makes great gear but so do the other manufacturers.
Scubapro (and Aqualung) control the maximum discount their dealers can offer on their equiptment so your LDS probably has his hands tied in offering you a great deal.

If you go with other brands you should be able to negotiate a great price on a package deal for you and your wife.

Here's a scenario.....
So let's say you have $1000 to spend on your first package. If you decide to go with all Scubapro gear, you will probably get their low end entry level gear. If expand your search and spent that same $1000 on non Scubapro you would probably end up with alot better equiptment.

A few bits of advise....
For most gear manufacturers, price the package that you want on the internet and use that while negotiating with your LDS. You will find that most of them will come close to matching the price.
If you do decide on purchasing Scupapro, you may want to try to get your LDS to throw in additional value added stuff such as advanced training, free fills, dive trips etc.

I am not stuck on SP, just my friends who I will be diving with all use SP. I just want the best I can get for my money!! Once again I want to get safe equipment with good warranties(heck if you die using it who cares at that point) Must be the legal beagle in me(or my wife). What would you think it should cost for this gear??

The wife and I were just OW certified and I do not want to rent gear to dive.. Like owning a house VS renting. Understand where I am coming from...

Thank you for helping

Fred

Divers don't die because they are using gear other than ScubaPro. ScubaPro is totally overpriced for what you get. I recently purchased a regulator because I got a great deal on it. First time in the water I noticed it was leaking. Turns out there were metal shavings from the manufacturing process wedged in one of the o-rings inside the first stage. With a Sherwood reg, I would not have been surprised. With a ScubaPro reg that costs three times as much I think this should raise eyebrows. In general their gear is well made. Im just not sure it is so well made compared to other brands that it merits the price.

Why are you hell bent on Scubapro? Its a top notch brand with top notch prices but why pay $$$ for things like wetsuit + boots when that can be acquired cheaper. I would buy a reg from Scubapro and of course jetfins. The rest Id try to get from elsewhere

I puchased Scubapro reg,BC,mask.
The rest i got online.:D

Only my regs (MK17/S555) are Scubapro. Everything else, including the Octo is a mix of manufactures.

Back
Top Bottom