Question Scubapro D420 for Pool Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ankush Mittal

Addicted to Diving!
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I primarily teach Confined Water Sessions in Delhi, India where its nice and warm. Pools are closed over the winter, so no cold water diving issues here. Was looking at the MK11 + C370 Set, but suddenly came across a crazy offer for the MK19 + D420 set at virtually the same price. Both sets brand new.

Does anyone teach with a D420? It looks a bit funky and I wouldn't want it to be distracting for my student. I am only asking because I haven't seen it in person and while the reviews for the breathability are awesome, the looks have taken a bashing.

Since its only for pool as I have a separate set for open water dives, I am quite confused which way to go.

I did notice some people talk about the higher cost of maintenance for the D420 and with the MK19 Evo turret, I am thinking from a work horse point of view MK11+ C370, while a downgrade might be a better option in the long term considering the use case?

I really like the 420 and if a student is comfused by how it looks, maybe the should take up something less confusing like hiking.

The 420 is likely being discontinued so the prices are good, I’m buying when I see them at a good price. Not a MK 19 fan or a 25 as I don’t like the extra length required for a swivel since it offers me no advantage, the MK 17 is my choice.

The 370 is excellent, to me the 420 is better.

I really like the 420 and if a student is comfused by how it looks, maybe the should take up something less confusing like hiking.

The 420 is likely being discontinued so the prices are good, I’m buying when I see them at a good price. Not a MK 19 fan or a 25 as I don’t like the extra length required for a swivel since it offers me no advantage, the MK 17 is my choice.

The 370 is excellent, to me the 420 is better.

Thanks for your insights, I just saw quite a posts here about the D420 being discontinued, so I guess that is probably the reason for the great offers. But the spare parts cost in India will definitely be high in that case, so might as well just stuck with the C370. Will see if I can pair it with a MK17 instead.

Thanks for your insights, I just saw quite a posts here about the D420 being discontinued, so I guess that is probably the reason for the great offers. But the spare parts cost in India will definitely be high in that case, so might as well just stuck with the C370. Will see if I can pair it with a MK17 instead.

My concern with the D420, will there be good qualified technicians who can work on it and not screw it up. The C370 is better that way. What about a MK17 with C370?

My concern with the D420, will there be good qualified technicians who can work on it and not screw it up. The C370 is better that way. What about a MK17 with C370?

I am now leaning towards MK17 + C370. But with rarely breathing down the tank to lower than 60/70 bar and depth limited to 12 feet in the pool, do you feel the 80 - 100 USD difference makes sense in your opinion?

If it's just for pool use even a Mk2 will be more than adequate. But if service costs are an issue I'd look at some other brand instead of SP. The Cressi service kits are cheap as chips in most parts and need no special tools.

That being said I do think the D420 looks really cool. I've never tried one, but am looking for one to put on my FFM mostly as it doesn't stick out as much as most regs and the FFM mouthpice already sticks out wuite a bit. Getting that darth vader look going is also a plus in my book.

But having a different reg shouldn't be a distraction to your students so much as an opportunity to talk about different types of gear, how they are different and why you might choose one over the other.

I am now leaning towards MK17 + C370. But with rarely breathing down the tank to lower than 60/70 bar and depth limited to 12 feet in the pool, do you feel the 80 - 100 USD difference makes sense in your opinion?

I made the MK17/C370 the standard regulator for training students in confined and openwater. They have been the least problems and easiest to deal with in all conditions. I have 2 MK2 for spares and 2 Z2 for those that want to try Atomics. I had Mares, Cressi and AL and got those out of the training fleet and sold some and others didn't but want to get rid of them ASAP. SP has been the least problematic, best performance, easiest to get serviced or get parts for and just plain workhorse for a dive school. If I want to get a different brand, it would be Atomic and/or Zeagle nothing else.

I recommend the MK17/C370 without any second thoughts. I make this recommendation based on MANY years of using all known brands and dealing with their service and reliability issues. SP was the best and most practical for all reasons for a dive school.

Note: I am in Libya and don't have easy access to service centers or any local source for parts for any brand. I have to make decisions based on my circumstances. SP is it for me and the MK17/C370 for regulators for the dive school.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom