ScubaPro Air2 Good/Bad or just Ugly...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an Air 2 and also do not have an extremely long hose as my primary regulator. Me and the people I dive with have practiced buddy breathing and we have no problem. If you have to give them the primary and breathe off the Air 2 it works fine for recreational diving. I actually find it sometimes to be easier to breathe off of then the primary because there is no excess slack hangin garound it just curves around and it easy to breathe off of. You don't need to breathe and adjust your buoyancy at the same time, it's not that difficult. I suppose if you're a beginner it may be a little difficult, but you just take it out and inflate it or release air, then put it back in, you don't need to be breathing every second.

dpthdiver:
Here's some thoughts on the AirII. You either going to buy a bad one or a good one. The bad ones free flow and become more trouble than they're worth. If you get lucky, you'll get a good one. They are far and few between, so make sure you keep it. For about 5 years, my wife's worked like a champ and mine failed 3-4 times a year. That's just one example I can give. I finally retired mine about 2 years ago and started using the Atomic.

In addition, the AirII is not that great of a breather and a lot of times you have to have them tuned down to prevent free flow which makes breathing very difficult, a problem you don't need in a hard breathing emergency. The new AirII is nothing but a new housing over the same internal components. I would suggest Atomic's titanium version on the AirII. Doesn't corrode and breathes better than most octos. I've never had a problem with it and have used it in an actual emergency.

As far as the other suggestions, I agree your primary hose should be longer as it is far easier for share air accents.

What is it that makes a bad one bad and a good one good? And why would the Atomic version with titanium work any better? I believe they are all of the same classic downstream design with a rather small case and diaphram that limits how well you can make them breath. But if one is having problems and another is performing well, these devices are simple enough that it should be a question of finding and repairing the mechanical defect. BTW, the titanium just buys you some forgiveness for poor used care and cleaning. That air2 needs to be soaked thoroughly after SW dives like any other regulator to avoid corrosion problems. It definately needs more attention that a standard inflator.

I work at a ScubraPro dealer and we ask the same question. It seems like it's the luck of the draw when it comes to getting a good one. I know it sounds quirky, but that is what we have seen here. We used to have them on our rental gear and finally gave up on them. The Atomic is just a better built reg, is a better breather, and just out performs the AirII. Why titanium? Just like you said, most people don't take the extra effort for the AirII and the titanium version is more forgiving as far as corrosion goes.

For me its the lack of an extra hose for the octopus is the reason why I use my AIR2.

We have had ours since 1999; had to use them twice. Prefer them to an octo. Personal preference. SP is our equipment.

dpthdiver:
I work at a ScubraPro dealer and we ask the same question. It seems like it's the luck of the draw when it comes to getting a good one. I know it sounds quirky, but that is what we have seen here. We used to have them on our rental gear and finally gave up on them. The Atomic is just a better built reg, is a better breather, and just out performs the AirII. Why titanium? Just like you said, most people don't take the extra effort for the AirII and the titanium version is more forgiving as far as corrosion goes.

You might take a close look at your wife's good air2 and your bad air2. Assuming they receive similar use and care, there really are not too many things that would cause one to perform OK and the other to experience eratic performance (cracking pressure). One thing that could cause such a problem is if the inlet tube & housing were not held firmly in position inside the plastic case. A new case is fairly cheap or free if still in the free-parts-for-life program.

As mentioned above there are +s and -s and 2 camps on this.
For some having it is like their religion. For others, its sacreligous to have one.

Well it's to late now, I have already had it installed.

I will also be taken my octo + inflator with me on first vacation just in case.

I will post on impression and performance after vacation.

Thanks for all the advise.

Solo1mick,

Don't bug out. Let us know what you think of the Air2 vs. octo.

I have a very strong preference for one of them, but it is based on my limited diving experience w/ the configuration.

Have a good one!

Good luck Mick,

I noticed in another post that you will be buying a regulator soon. Take your Air II with you to the shop so they can tune it to the new regulator unless of course you know how to do it yourself.

couv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom