ScubaDiving.net Need Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flowerfish

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Al and I am from Malaysia. I guess I am the newest member here because I just joined 1 minute ago!

Anyway, truthfully, I do not dive but that is something that I have promised myself to do in this lifetime....that is until I learn how to swim!!

Basically, I need help in starting up an online social network for all scuba divers. You see, I pawned an arm and a leg to buy this domain name : ScubaDiving.net, and I want to develop it into a social network for scuba divers. Although my little sista is a divemaster and some of my best friends are divers too, they are too busy to help. So, I will have to turn to volunteers here instead!

For now, the domain name is temporary parked but I will be putting some of my last bottom dollars on some software, hosting and designer's fees. I would need some ideas on how to setup an awesome social network that is just simply a home for all divers. Of course this website will be a social network, 100% run by divers from all levels, locations and interests.

I wonder if I can get some interesting ideas for my project... so pls PM me or post away your most appreciated feedback.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to be a part of the diving world soon!

Warmest regards,

Al

Hi Al, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Congratulations on getting such a great domain name!

Are you in Penang? I have great memories of Georgetown, although I have to admit my heart still lives in Sabah.

As to your site, your best start will be your research on what is currently available.

What is it you like about what is currently out there?
And what don't you like?

Welcome to the Board, Al. What you're describing is pretty much what we already have here at ScubaBoard. There are several such networks that already exist. Just in the short time I've been a member here, I've seen other attempts at creating other boards, but none have been as popular as ScubaBoard. In fact, I'm not even sure whether those other attempts have even survived. I hate to tell you this, but unless you have a very unique idea on what you want and is not already being offered, you may want to get your arm and leg out of pawn.

Dive-aholic

I suspect that Al is not thinking about a forum site. While both Scubaboard and Yorkshire Divers are hugely successful, there is a need for different forms of connection. You like many others on ScubaBoard, have a page on MySpace, presumably because it offers a different service from that of ScubaBoard.

You are right that there have been many attempts to create social networking sites for scuba divers. My company among them. And you are right that not all survive. But the web and what you can do with it is ever advancing. 10 years ago how many anticipated we would spend $millions on inter-individual auctions? In 10 years time what will we be doing?

Maybe Al is planning a 'me too' site, or maybe he has a unique idea that needs a little nurturing to blossom into something we would not recognise today. Tell him not to bother if you like, but it is from people like Al who are willing to invest and take risks others will not that the 'ScubaBoard' of tomorrow will grow.

lucy, it's true that the Internet can offer many different opportunities for many different ideas. I didn't tell Al not to bother. I simply told him he needs to have a unique idea to make it work (reread my post if you will). What Al typed in his description sounds much like many of the boards that are already out there. Unless he has a really unique idea, he should cut his losses now.

On reflection and re-reading of the original post and your answer, I can see your point.

It probably just comes down to the interpretation of the phrase "social networking". As a function, that is most definitely done on ScubaBoard and Yorkshire Divers, but as an internet term "social networking" is usually used to describe websites that offer much wider range of interactive services. When I re-read flowerfish's post, he doesn't make it explicit what he is thinking of.

My interpretation was he meant something like Dive Space , Find a Dive buddy or Dive Area. They are all using off the shelf "social networking" software (PHPizabi and PHPFox) which are effectively MySpace clones offering a home page, somewhere to store photos, comments on each others pages, a blog, linking to friends etc. As such they offer more functions than SB but obviously have nowhere near the popularity.

I was hoping to draw him out and find out what his unique selling point was but it looks like he was a one post wonder.

Hi Lucy and all!

As a matter of fact, I am from Georgetown, Penang! Glad you liked your stay here.

I did not know that the thread has already started quite a conversation until I received a PM from you :) I do remember that I subscribed to the thread but no email came, and I was travelling, hence the non-reply. Thanks everyone, for the welcome.

Short story short, I am an investor in domain names and internet properties. I develop the domains that I buy to enhance its value and if I have personal interest in the industry, I will keep them, even if they are not really making money.

The truth of the matter is that all these while, I would love to dive but I guess I still have a fear of the water. This was mainly due to a near-drowning incident when I was a little kid, but I am trying to shake that phobia off. One thing for sure is that, I will find myself scuba diving one day, and that is a committment to myself.

Meanwhile, one day, as I was going along doing my domain business, I came accross ScubaDiving.net and the owner wanted to let it expire. I knew it was a great domain name and managed to snap it up for a chunk of my already slim wallet. I think I am unconsciously wanting it to be a reminder that scuba diving is something I must do in this life time.

So, I have spent so much $$, I better do something with it. My idea is to create a very niche network, exactly like Myspace.com, but this time, it is ONLY for scuba divers. I think the forum has such a huge community and I dont want to create something that is already thriving. I would rather start something different, to simply enhance or add on to what is already there.... which is a social network. Today, social networks are aplenty but NICHE networks are not.

The net is evolving so fast and social networks are the future. Forums has been around for ages and sometimes people just need a change. In fact, people want their own "space" where other friends from the same interest group can participate in their "space", hence the popularity of Myspace. The problem with myspace is that they are not suited for "target" groups. If ScubaDiving.net is ONLY for scuba divers, and the site is nothing else but scuba activites, photos, etc... then it should do better than a network of scuba divers with their myspace account. That is just a tought for developing ScubaDiving.net.

Lucy, you hit the bull's eye when you mentioned PHpfox, etc. That is my idea but I was seeking more from the posting, which did not get any reply after so long until now. I tought everyone was just minding their own business, and I checked the post for days until I gave up. :)

Anyway, thanks again, and I hope some great suggestions can stem out from this. Cheers to all and happy scuba diving!

Al.

lucybuykx:
Hi Al, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Congratulations on getting such a great domain name!

Are you in Penang? I have great memories of Georgetown, although I have to admit my heart still lives in Sabah.

As to your site, your best start will be your research on what is currently available.

What is it you like about what is currently out there?
And what don't you like?

flowerfish:
My idea is to create a very niche network, exactly like Myspace.com, but this time, it is ONLY for scuba divers. I think the forum has such a huge community and I dont want to create something that is already thriving. I would rather start something different, to simply enhance or add on to what is already there.... which is a social network. Today, social networks are aplenty but NICHE networks are not.

Hi Al, Glad you are back! And thanks for the explanation.

I think perhaps you did not get a response for so long is that similar questions are asked quite often, although seldom so eloquently, and not everyone is ready for change. :11:

I think both me and Dive-aholic agree that there already a lot of niche diving social networking sites. e.g.

The sites above have different philosophies and different aims but I still think there is something missing. I would be more than happy to point you in the directions I have explored, but as I too have a business interest to pursue (theDiveBuzz) I cannot share with you my conclusions. :shakehead

Many of them are different. I own also www.mydivinglife.com but that one is only mainly for blogging.

To resume regarding scubadiving.net , I don't think the domain is the most important issue....

The important thing to remember is the only way a niche may work for you is if you are PART of the nice. I know Lucy is an instructor, in my case I am an Instructor and I work in diving... more or less, I dive every single day, this means that I love this niche...

The imporant thing to understand is that people in boards like ScubaBoard, are in love with diving, not only that, they dive because is a way of living for many of them.
My question is: If you are not a diver even.. how are you going to connect with your divers?

My 2 cents....

Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom