ScubaDiving Mags Lessons for Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid can I ask why you canceled your subscription? I’m thinking of getting it along with a dan subscription soon.

The ratio of ads to content was too high for my taste in Scuba Diving. Also, I suppose when I first subscribed I was interested in equipment reviews and information on travel destinations, but I can find a greater amount of information--and less biased--elsewhere.

Here's a thread discussing dive mags: Recommended Dive Magazines ?

I used to work at a recycling center where someone had gotten rid of about 10 years worth of Scuba Diving magazines. I read all of them that winter. I enjoy the Lessons for Life articles. They definitly kept me thinking. One thing i noticed for sure is that the majority of accidents are human error. The main lesson i pulled from all of the articles is this: Diving is serious fun, but needs to be taken seriously! Happy diving, Always Learning.

There's also a book that is based on the monthly article I forget the name but it dedicates a chapter to each accident and goes into much more detail. AFAIK each chapter and article is based on true stories but some facts are changed for anonymity and privacy and then throw in your typical sloppy editing and you'll get some obviously weird stuff in the mix. These articles are informative but I would never refer to a diving fatality as "fun to read" that's somewhat disrespectful also most are based on human error or bad responses to emergencies but there's another common factor in diving accidents thats also present in many of these highlighted fatalities and that is..?

>

>

>

Diver fitness. Which often times results in a fatality that in reality has nothing to do with diving. As the expression goes if a person suffers a heart attack on the 9th hole people don't say golf is dangerous. You get my point.

Back
Top Bottom