ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daveo957

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I first came across this site I thought cool a place to exchange ideas and read about others experiences, but the more i read the more im statrting to the think alot of the people here (not all) need to do more diving and less internet surfing, what sparked me to write this was a post i just read about how to spot a newbie diver...who cares, everyone here started new at one point what would possess you to point out if someone is wearing splitfins or neoprene mask straps or a particular brand of gear, does it make you feel like a cooler diver if you can point out what you consider wrong on a new diver...it may be just me but thats wrong and will turn people off of this site, I dont caim to be anything more i dont flash around my number of dives my certifications and i dont think any one should, thats what those threads seem like a bunch of divers who think they are above others.. not cool.. and there have been other threads in the past that have made me question why i even bother reading this stuff for instance the lady who was "so sick" of people doing shallow dives with Nitrox stickers on there tanks...there can be many reasons its not hurting you mind your own buisness....one of the best things about this sport is the people i have met along the way, i have never once thought of making my self seem higher than others by flaunting my diving style / gear, or putting down thiers , If this is what this site is about that you guys are the minority, and soon will be talking to just yourselfs.

You're right Dave, there are those who are nothing but judgemental, and it shouldn't be that way. However, I think by and large the majority of people are going to be helpful and understanding. I remember when I first started diving how everyone was so nice and always willing to help out. Unfortunately, it is the vocal minority that tends to jade people's perception about forums such as Scubaboard. I've gained so much valuable knowledge over the years which I can say has truly impacted how I've developed as a diver. Even more importantly, I've gained some great friendships with people I would not have, in all likelihood, even met.

Edit: I should also add that I sincerely hope that these few individuals do not deter you from SB, as if you can sift through some of the occasional crap, there's really a lot of good stuff here.

yea i know that most people here or great but you read a couple of post of people mouthing off and it just gives off a bad preception, after reading that post about how to spot a newbie I was compelled to write... lol thanks for backing me up and i do agree with you

Like Warren said, there are jerks in every aspect of life. I ave never seen anyone put down divers out in the real world of diving. You got to remember that some people come here just to stir the pot. The other 99% of us are pretty good people.

Comrade Stroke

Edit- where is this "spotting a newbie" thread? I couldn't find it.

All forums offer valuable information and less valuable noise.

Some posts educate, others entertain.

The purpose for some people's lives is to serve as a bad example.

It is your responsibility as a forum user to identify what you can use and enjoy it, while ignoring the noise.

Remember that some come here primarily to chat or be entertained, and for these users the board offers places they can go as well.

Learn to be a discerning user.

Not every post will be one you're going to agree with or even accept as viable on the board.

The TOS is the guidelines that we must all, as users, abide by. Within that TOS is a wide range of potential, and it is up to the community of users to make this community one that the majority of forum participants would prefer to spend their time using.

I hope that you find the things you are looking for here, and are able to block out what you consider to be the noise.

All in all, IMHO the signal-to-noise ratio here is reasonably good: most users can find what they are looking for. If you cannot, please feel free to PM me or any of the other Moderators.

Welcome to ScubaBoard - such as it is.

Doc

yea i myself have never seen anyone out on a boat act that way

fire_diver:
Like Warren said, there are jerks in every aspect of life. I ave never seen anyone put down divers out in the real world of diving. You got to remember that some people come here just to stir the pot. The other 99% of us are pretty good people.

Comrade Stroke

Edit- where is this "spotting a newbie" thread? I couldn't find it.
:rofl3: Comrade Stroke. Too funny.

Oh man, I just ignore the ignorant posters. I'd have an ulcer if I like the idiots get to me. There's way too much good stuff here to worry about the dregs.

Daveo957:
When I first came across this site I thought cool a place to exchange ideas and read about others experiences, but the more i read the more im statrting to the think alot of the people here (not all) need to do more diving and less internet surfing, what sparked me to write this was a post i just read about how to spot a newbie diver...who cares, everyone here started new at one point what would possess you to point out if someone is wearing splitfins or neoprene mask straps or a particular brand of gear, does it make you feel like a cooler diver if you can point out what you consider wrong on a new diver...it may be just me but thats wrong and will turn people off of this site, I dont caim to be anything more i dont flash around my number of dives my certifications and i dont think any one should, thats what those threads seem like a bunch of divers who think they are above others.. not cool.. and there have been other threads in the past that have made me question why i even bother reading this stuff for instance the lady who was "so sick" of people doing shallow dives with Nitrox stickers on there tanks...there can be many reasons its not hurting you mind your own buisness....one of the best things about this sport is the people i have met along the way, i have never once thought of making my self seem higher than others by flaunting my diving style / gear, or putting down thiers , If this is what this site is about that you guys are the minority, and soon will be talking to just yourselfs.

First - preview your post before you launch it. If you did, you'd notice how unreadable it is. If your paragraph contains more that three sentences, or (worse) if your paragraph contains ONE sentence, you're not gonna get much lovin' as its clear you're new.

Dude - mix in some decaf. Most of us were also poking at ourselves in that thread.

This is an online community. As with your own community, you probably have neighbors you like, some you don't, some that proudly paint their house bright green and some that still think a rock garden is fresh.

There may even be a few people in your community that think YOU'RE the strange one.

Roll with it. Revel in the vastnessness of our diversity, poke playful, good natured fun at it and at yourself. If ScubaBoard is bringing you down, you got bigger issues than not diving enough.

(cue Mania's Manifesto...)

August 2006 and 30 posts. If you're critiquing ScubaBoard and you have 30 posts in 7 months, your shiny newness is your Orange Shovel.

Relax. Contribute.

---
Ken

like i said Doc i completley understand i usually read and thats it but i was just compelled to write

Back
Top Bottom