Scubaboard Surge 2017 Central

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ScubaBoard & Backscatter wavier has been sent out to all SURGE crew members.
Please watch your email

See Everyone Soon
Hey Dennis:
Will the waivers be coming from you? Bay Adventures? Backscatter? I've been looking in my email and haven't seen anything yet. Thanks!

Question - sorry if this was addressed and I don't recall...
Our flight is due to arrive just before noon on the 14th. Since we are getting in relatively early, are we on our own for lunch? Also not sure about dinner - I saw that dinner will not be available during the welcome party the night of the 14th - but will it be provided at all? Just wondering if we should plan on feeding ourselves - good problem to have! :wink:

Our flight is due to arrive just before noon on the 14th. Since we are getting in relatively early, are we on our own for lunch? Also not sure about dinner - I saw that dinner will not be available during the welcome party the night of the 14th - but will it be provided at all? Just wondering if we should plan on feeding ourselves - good problem to have! :wink:
No worries, lunch and dinner will be provided for those arriving early enough. There are some who won't be arriving until 7:40 PM and will just have enough time to make it to the party.

Secret goings on...and Supervizin is hard work. Maybe it's time for a beer and a nap, Tee Hee!

upload_2017-1-7_14-37-13.png

I am not going on the Surge trip (sadly!) but we have been to CBBR several times, including just last November, and have encountered this same meal question. When you arrive on Grand Cayman you will have to go through immigration and then collect your baggage and go through customs. (They have lots of free luggage carts.) After customs, you will walk outside and immediately come back inside the main terminal to recheck your bags with Cayman Air. Then you go through security to the departure lounge for the flight to Cayman Brac. Don't get stuck going through another immigration line, show the officials your boarding pass and tell them you are doing interisland transport and they will waive you through.

There's not many food options in the Grand Cayman airport (GCM). But before you go through security you can go upstairs to the Hungry Horse to get a sandwich, hamburger, or a salad - and it's okay but nothing special. If you have bags there is an elevator to get upstairs. After you go through security there is only one food counter in the departure lounge and it is supplied by the Hungry Horse - and it is even less special - but it's an option if you are hungry.

If you have a long layover in Grand Cayman before heading to Brac, you might consider leaving the airport for a good meal in pleasant surroundings. The Georgetown Yacht Club is just a few minutes away from airport and they run a free shuttle to and from the airport every 15 minutes. Check your large bags with Cayman Air, ask them where to pick up the shuttle, and then head over to the GTYC for a lovely lunch right on the marina. The food is good and their cracked conch is excellent IMO.

If you do eat at a restaurant in the Caymans, keep in mind that the prices are in Cayman dollars (about 20% higher than US) but the bill will usually include the conversion for US and Canadian money. Also be aware that many Cayman restaurants, but not all, automatically add a 15% tip to the bill. You can certainly add an additional tip but it can be confusing, so make sure you understand what you are paying. They will gladly take American and Canadian currency but your change will be in Cayman money. Try to use a credit card that doesn't have any foreign transaction fees because that can add as much as 3% to your charges; but since most of your expenses are already paid for at the all-inclusive resort, that may not be a big deal.

But only attempt leaving GCM airport if you have a long layover, the security lines can be very lengthy, especially on the weekends. Sometimes you zip right through, but not always. At least GCM is air-conditioned if you have to hang around for awhile. Ask the Cayman Air check-in agent if you have time to leave and come back.

When we arrive at the CBBR on Brac our meal plan usually starts with dinner that night - but I don't know what arrangements have been made for the Surge guests. I think that the buffet food at the CBBR is excellent, the best all-inclusive food I have experienced in the Caribbean and the desserts are wonderful! And the Friday night barbecue is excellent. I am a big fan of their breakfast and dinner meals but the lunch options are sometimes the weakest IMO. Usually cold cuts, salad, maybe soup, and one or two hot food options (and the dessert table!) but if you get there late there may not be as many choices. One time we got to the hotel early and decided to buy lunch from the buffet and it was quite pricey for what you get IMO.

FYI, as a general rule, you should try to get to the dining room early to get the best selection for meals. There is always lots of food but the most popular items may disappear quickly, but I am sure that they would something special for you if requested. The staff are very accommodating, and they always take care of guests if the dive boat get back a little late for lunch.

When we arrive at the hotel early we order lunch at the bar and charge it to the room. They have a good bar menu from the same kitchen as the buffet, and you have more options on the price than just going with the buffet, again this is just my opinion. The CBBR prices are in $USD so you don't have to worry about conversion.

You will probably be too tired after traveling, and bicycling in mid-day is very hot, but the resort provides free bicycles for guests. So you can bike over to the Captain's Table for a meal; it's a nice place to visit. But be sure to buy some cold, bottled water from the little gift shop off the hotel lobby if you decide to go bicycle riding and wear a hat. When borrowing bikes during your trip, keep in mind that many of the islands businesses are closed on Sundays.

This may not be pertinent because I believe that the Surge package includes some bar beverages; but if you want to bring bottled liquor with you go to Brac then you must put it in your checked baggage. Otherwise it will be confiscated in Security because the liquid volume is greater than 3 ounces - even if you bought it duty free at your home airport and it is sealed and labeled. Wrap it well and put it in your luggage before checking it for Brac. There are liquor stores in the GCM departure lounge but they will not sell alcohol to you when traveling inter-island, only internationally.

There is a large ice machine for guests behind the bar at the resort and most of the rooms at the CBBR have small refrigerator, but not all. In November our room didn't have a frig but we asked for one and they brought it up right away and didn't charge extra. You can buy soft drinks from the lobby gift shop and again you can borrow a bike and peddle to the nearest liquor store (it also sells soda) but keep in mind that it will be closed on Sunday.

The hotel is near the airport and you will go right past the convenience and liquor store during transport from the airport. I have never asked them to make a quick shopping stop on the way to the hotel because we were with other guests; but if you are in a van full of Surge guests, they might stop, it probably depends whether they have to get back to the airport quickly to pick up more guests.

Have a great trip, I am so jealous!

Last edited:
No worries, lunch and dinner will be provided for those arriving early enough. There are some who won't be arriving until 7:40 PM and will just have enough time to make it to the party.

This is not what I was told. I asked this question a while back and was told that lunch on the day of arrival was not included and we were on our own. I contacted the resort directly regarding how to handle lunch on the day of arrival.

DD

Back
Top Bottom