ScubaBoard Server Upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the bottom line is SB still breaks down:shakehead::shakehead:

Actually the crash yesterday was due to national media attention and a record number of people hitting Scubaoboard's site.

There was an AP story of someone using Scubaboard to find the owner of a lost dive camera and had a link to Scubaboard....

the link resulted in a HUGE spike in traffic on 6/15/2010

see the below graphic for the past 6 months and the spike on the far right.

livegraph.png

Reactions: Jax

Hey, I have an idea. Instead of just whining...

Show us a website with even 1/10th of the daily use that SB has that doesn't EVER break. 1 minor hiccup due to an uncharacteristic spike in traffic is not something to cry about, unless you like complaining about everything?

You SB support folk have only yourselves to blame! :wink:

You've created a site that is way too reliable.
You've raised our expectations too high.

My recommendation: start a process to perform a random 5 minute outage once every two days. We'll all come to expect that and after an initial period of whining, will never complain about outages again.

It will be.. well.. normal.

Now.. Wheres that dang 'thanks' button.:rofl3:

....and that story about the lost camera is so iconic, that I'd live with the site going down daily for a month if it got that story out.

I notice some people even signed up for SB, and donated to the financial cause due to that story.

The "turtle video" on YouTube had already gotten 800,000 hits by yesterday late afternoon!

Yes, I am very happy with the story. It's good was good to see our flaws exposed. We have revised a few things in anticipation of even more growth. :D

This site would grow even faster if you brought back the "Thanks" button........oh wait......wrong thread!:D

Just like any piece of Scuba Equipment, it needs regular maintenance or it will fail us!

Thanks SB IT team. Just don't let the magic smoke out of the server boxes and everything will be fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom