ScubaBoard Members help find missing Air Force plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
At least one member of ScubaBoard was part of the volunteer search party involved in this discovery and the first to dive on the wreckage. Rumor has it they also received Congressional Commendations for their efforts.

A service for 2 fallen airmen - latimes.com

By Bob Pool

March 6, 2010

For more than half a century, the disappearance of two Air Force pilots headed from Los Angeles to Yuma, Ariz., remained a mystery.

Then last May, a volunteer search team hunting for a long-lost World War II-era female pilot found the shattered remains of the Lockheed T-33 jet missing since Oct. 15, 1955, in about 100 feet of water 1 1/2 miles off Playa del Rey's Dockweiler State Beach.

Family members thanked search organizers Gary Fabian and G. Pat Macha of UB88.org and divers Kyaa Heller and Ray Arntz -- who were the first to reach the wrecked T-33 -- as they disembarked from the boats back at Marina del Rey. They also praised Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives who helped track down family members.

Kudos to [user]Capt. Kyaa[/user] and everyone else involved in this discovery!

Dont thank me, I had no part in it. I'm just passing the good news along. :)

very cool :cool3:

Imagine how comforting that must be for the families. I think closure is an overused term but it is most appropriate in this case. Well done!

It meant so much to the families. Ray and I have new friends all over the country and world as a result, and this event may also help fuel the continuing search for WASP pilot Gertrude Tompkins Silver. Here are some additional news links. Enjoy!

Aerochannel

Memorial service held for crew of 1955 military plane crash - The Daily Breeze
(make sure you click on photo gallery)!!!!!

Thanks for the extra info! Great job to you both!

Is Ray a SB member as well?

Impressive. Thanks for the reading. I am new to ScubaBoard, but reading this makes me want to come back and participate more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom