ScubaBoard is Invading the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the great report! If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

What was your experience like for the air travel between Manilla and Dumaguete?
Which airline did you use?
How many bags did you have and what size were they?
What were the charges for bags?
What is airport security like in Manilla and Dumaguete?

We usually bring our dive gear with us. We generally have two near 50 pound bags we check with dive gear, two standard US size rolling bags (that are generally quite heavy as they have our regulators), and two smaller backpacks. I am concerned this will not work well for the flight to Dumaguete.

We usually bring our dive gear with us. We generally have two near 50 pound bags we check with dive gear, two standard US size rolling bags (that are generally quite heavy as they have our regulators), and two smaller backpacks. I am concerned this will not work well for the flight to Dumaguete.

We used CEBU.
We are brought 4 checked bags (that was 2 for the each of us) and purchased the extra weight for $40 x 2
So we can bring 44 lbs in each bag, 2 bags total per person = 88 lbs x the 2 of us = 176 lbs pds
We each have a carry on backpack at the 15 lbs
We each also have a personal bag (which could be another backpack, laptop case , tote or purse) that should not be weighed.
My husband had a vest and cargo pants with pockets to carry additional items if needed and I have a light weight jacket with pockets also.

This should fit into the criteria for the weight restriction during the inter island flight.
For all the other flights, there isn't an issue.

CEBU PACIFIC
Hand Carry Baggage with Domestic Airlines
Domestic carriers strictly enforce a maximum of 7Kg/15lbs for hand carried luggage.
CEBU PACIFIC
Our domestic tickets on Cebu Pacific include 30Kg/66lbs.
This can be upgraded to a total of:
40kg/88lbs total ‐ $40 round trip add on
55Kg/121lbs total ‐ $105 round trip add on,
60Kg/132lbs total ‐ $115 round trip add on,
70Kg/154lbs total ‐ $130 round trip add on,
80Kg/176lbs total ‐ $150 round trip add on.

Here's a link to my Packing, Travel and Diving Tips for the SB Invasion to the Philippines There's a lot of great info there.

Heavy US size carryons are unlikely to work in the Philippines, or anyplace that has similar smaller size/weight limits, but you could consider just checking those for the domestic flight. Maybe get some packable foldup nylon bags to transfer some things to if you really don't want to check everything in your carryon and can't fit whatever in your backpacks. Backpacks as personal item may or may not draw attention depending on the size and phase of the moon, though if they ask/weigh and you show it's heavy on laptop/camera/electronics that will _probably_ be ok, as they seem to get it doesn't make sense for people to check that sort of stuff and they specifically say they don't want cameras checked. They've also recently started a rule about no regs in carry-ons, apparently considering them heavy blunt objects they don't want on board.

So to a certain extent you probably need to rethink your usual packing strategy you might use for a Caribbean trip on a US carrier. Our strategy has been to finally get very lightweight roller bags that are the smaller carryon size allowed, and as long as we're not stuffing them with regs and other dive gear you can actually carry a decent amount of toiletries and clothes within the weight limit. We check 3 bags, having decided it's just not worth the struggle to get down to 2. And we use small backpacks as personal items. (My husbands backpack is a heavy overstuffed camera backpack that he's gotten away with so far.)

Something that might be helpful in the Philippines is the weight limit on individual checked bags is I believe 70#. If you're carrying that much you're going to need to purchase additional weight overall, but if you plan ahead you may be able to take advantage of this to move some weight from carry-on to checked for the domestic flight.

One thing to keep in mind about the Scubaboard trip, or any trip with Atlantis (this was our second), is that their transfer service is excellent. They are extremely good about taking care of your luggage and smoothing your path through the airport. So it's possible to get away with a bit more than usual, and I suspect even more so with a large group. I don't think any carry-ons or personal items got weighed, but it's still possible larger ones could attract attention at the gate. If traveling without that sort of service, you have to assume your carry-ons will get weighed, large ones will be an issue, and you can't even assume they won't weigh a backpack if the mood strikes them. On a non-Atlantis trip we did to the Philippines, we had to deal personally with the normal limits and rules, and it can be quite the game.

Has anyone ever used a regular hiking backpack to haul gear...
I'm going to be traveling in the Philippines for a month. It just seems easier than carrying a bag and a roller luggage bag with all my gear.
Plus it seems easier to get around and people would see me as a budget backer vs a diver if any one can the of some other alternatives backpack style it will be greatly appreciated
650330492be01.png

Sean

I've seen bags intended for air travel with built in backpack straps that can be tucked away. Large packs intended for real backpacking I'd be careful - they're not necessarily designed for the sort of abuse airlines can dish out, and too many straps and things that can get caught in baggage handling equipment could also cause you problems. I've seen airlines put bags like that in some kind of open tray or box, but I don't know if you can count on that, or if the Philippines domestic airlines will do anything like that. Getting bags wrapped in plastic might be a way to keep all the straps in check and keep things together a bit better.

Never thought of plastic wrap great idea...
I have a cover bag that goes over the top of the straps... But other than that, if the pack can hold my gear I'm good to go!
The problem I'm having is my bcd knife and my line cutter... They have to be checked.

so you're not planning to check a backpack that it seems will be well over the size and weight limits? I don't see how you're going to get away with that.

Back
Top Bottom