ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2023 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have bad news: I won't be on the trip! Instead, I'll be undergoing a laminectomy on levels 2 to 5. I injured my back taking care of my now deceased sister back in January, and it's made existence a living hell.
Pete, so sorry to hear! You might recall from Coz that I was deferring spine surgery until after the trip. Is your 2 to 5 cervical, thoraxic, or lumbar? I had partial laminectomies on C3 and C7, and laminoplasties on C4-6 (postop xray photo attached)

I felt better waking up in recovery after the surgery than I had in almost a year! Recovery went relatively smoothly, and with PT I was back to good form (and cleared for diving) in a few months! If you have any questions about it, PM me and I'll be happy to answer.

You've got this!

1686343234765.jpeg

@Dannybot had surgery on C4-5 in December. 10 years ago he had done C5-6 / C6-7 so he is a hot cervical mess too!
The weirdest thing about mine is that I have a small concave area in my neck, and you can see/feel some of the little screw heads that are holding things together. Weirds some people out, but since it's saved me from paralysis, I'm good!

My laminoplasties have little titanium spacers with a bit of cadaver bone thrown in. I tell my friends that if I get a sudden appetite for brains, they should run. :p:cakefight:

So you have a scuba mod for horizontal trim and looking forward?
The nice thing about laminoplasties and laminectomies is that you retain full mobility; no fusions or rods preventing normal flexion. I can now move just as I did before the surgery.

I dived Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao in February; first dives since my surgery, and they were great! No difference - except that now that I have complete feeling in my limbs again, no debilitating numbness and neuropathy, and I can walk with my tank from the side of the boat to the entry (did shore dives in Bonaire and Curaçao in February with no problems!).

Last year in Coz I had to go to the back of the boat and our divemaster held my BC and the tank while I slipped it on right before entry.

Having virtually no remaining issues a great feelling!

I suffered a judo throw gone bad about 35 years ago and have to hit the chiropractor about once or twice a year, but other than that, I haven't had to suffer through back surgery. My big issue is some arthritis in a knee that sucks. Ugh, I'm sure it would feel better if I lost like 50 pounds of bioprene. Hopefully, the Costco size bottle of Naproxin works for the trip.

All packed except last minute items like razor, CPAP and bag locks. Gonna sneak into the office tomorrow and do hard copies of flight itinerary, boarding pass, Honduras immigration stuff and DAN profile. Then hit the gym to see what the check in bag weighs and hope I don't have to pull it all apart :)

Back
Top Bottom