ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2018 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@toriclum Thats not what I said but welcome anyway.

@Kelly Mine and @Fat Daddy it looks like there may be a number of teenage divers at this meetup.

I would definitely encourage you to do it. My daughter was 10 (she is now 12 and will be 13) when we first got her certified. She and my husband are always buddies, we drill her a lot about emergency situations, talk about situational awareness in every day life and apply it to diving, ask her random questions to keep her on her toes. She understands we do it to keep her sharp, and her skills have grown. If they stay in their depth and don't dive beyond their certification, I think you can expect that the training is reliable. They learn the same information and take the same test as the adults--the only "jr." about it is their age on the card and their recommended depth limitations. My dd has had situations underwater where she has had to share air for real, lost her fin and had to get it back on, fogged mask, and various other little things, and she is honestly extremely calm and deliberate about things when they happen and doesn't panic. My husband dives with her because I'm more of a nervous Nellie and I tend to fret about every little thing. They work well as a team.

I suppose it depends on the kid and their maturity level, but if a 12 year old wants to do it and understands the risks and responsibilities, I say go for it!

@toriclum Thats not what I said but welcome anyway.

@Kelly Mine and @Fat Daddy it looks like there may be a number of teenage divers at this meetup.

Thanks Kelly. I think we'll probably let her get certified. She's very smart and responsible.

Hey WarrenZ. Good to hear there will be some young ones on this trip. I may be up for going to Cenotes on the 23rd.

Fat Daddy

Sounds good I will do my best to do the cenotes on the 22nd (Friday) with the scubaboard Group and am trying to get a Saturday whale shark thing going.

So we would like to do the cenotes trip and the whale shark trip. Are they on the same day? Is that why some are considering staying and doing a separate trip? I talked to Mrs Fat Daddy and she's up for staying a couple of extra days.

Fat Daddy

We are in!

For those with kids get them certified and let them dive! Our kids were 13 & 15 on our first trip to Hotel Cozumel and they did fine. You can always stay a bit shallower than the group if they are deeper than 60-70' to conserve air.

I just created an account this month, but I've been a frequent visitor ever since I got certified. A huge chunk of the stuff I've learned (and most of the gear I've bought) since getting my c-card has been thanks to the awesome community here. My wife and I are in, so I guess it's time to be a bit more active around here!

On a separate note, how are we booking the cenotes? I know it's tentatively scheduled for Friday, but that's it.

We are wanting to do the cenotes trip on Friday and stay an extra day and do the whale shark trip on Saturday- then vacation over And fly back on Sunday.

We are excited our first invasion!

We are wanting to do the cenotes trip on Friday and stay an extra day and do the whale shark trip on Saturday- then vacation over And fly back on Sunday.

We are excited our first invasion!

I was told that I would be getting an email so we could work out the details with Bay Adventures and they would set things up for us. I know that there are 40 spaces for the whale sharks on Friday and right now my group of 6 will be attempting them on Saturday but I havent been able to confirm anything yet. The more for Saturday the better in my opinion.

This is my first invasion but if it is as good as the Curacao Surge was we will all be in for a treat. Thanks for setting this up again Dennis and Roxanne aka @cardzard and @ROXANNE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom