ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2017 Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were all noobs at some point and I guarantee you will be a vastly improved diver by the end of the week. Hopefully NASE will step in with the free nitrox class and @NetDoc will do his buoyancy class as you'll want both. I got my nitrox cert on the '14 Roatan Invasion and learned more that week than the previous 3 yrs of diving. I never knew what good diving looked like and how unnecessarily hard I was working. You'll have plenty of mentor/coaches to tune you up.

I was searching through old posts and I saw very little about tipping at dive resorts. I want to be prepared for the trip and I have no issue tipping (DM’s, Boat Captain, and resort staff, ect.), I just want to know what to expect.

How does AKR handle tipping (envelope left in your room on the last night, tip people daily as you see them, ect…)?

Does the standard $10/tank rule apply for the boat crew?

What about servers when eating, bartenders, ect?

I assume everyone is happy using US Dollars, is that correct as well?

I saw another member talking about bringing extra ‘goodies’ with them. They included gifting their DM’s a multi-tool (ie a Leatherman Tool), in addition to some money. I thought that was a really unique, and good idea. In that same post they said some people also bring small toy’s or school supplies for the islands kids. I like that idea too, is that something that’s common as well???

Thanks for any advice on this topic!

I was searching through old posts and I saw very little about tipping at dive resorts. I want to be prepared for the trip and I have no issue tipping (DM’s, Boat Captain, and resort staff, ect.), I just want to know what to expect.

How does AKR handle tipping (envelope left in your room on the last night, tip people daily as you see them, ect…)?

Does the standard $10/tank rule apply for the boat crew?

What about servers when eating, bartenders, ect?

I assume everyone is happy using US Dollars, is that correct as well?

I saw another member talking about bringing extra ‘goodies’ with them. They included gifting their DM’s a multi-tool (ie a Leatherman Tool), in addition to some money. I thought that was a really unique, and good idea. In that same post they said some people also bring small toy’s or school supplies for the islands kids. I like that idea too, is that something that’s common as well???

Thanks for any advice on this topic!

As always tipping is a personal thing what may be a large amount to one person may seem small to another.
Tip what you feel comfortable with.

AKR did NOT use any envelopes system for tipping the last time I was there.
Your groups DM will follow your group when it rotates boats( so you will have the SAME DM all week) I normally tip him or her at the end of the week and let them know that is how I am going to do it at the beginning. I leave tips for the boat crew daily since I may not be on that boat the next day.
Roxanne & I usually tip our waiters after the meal, and the house keeper at the end of the week.
However having said that please refer to the first line in my post. This just how we do it.
US dollars are excepted everywhere in Roatan.

Well...I'm in. Just got off the phone with Felix and left my deposit. Mark and Beth from Tecumseh, MI. I'm a new diver and Beth is non-diver just going along for the ride.

Trying to talk my son and his fiance into going along too. They are not yet divers, but are interested in getting certified. We'll see about them next.

Mark

Well...I'm in. Just got off the phone with Felix and left my deposit. Mark and Beth from Tecumseh, MI. I'm a new diver and Beth is non-diver just going along for the ride.

Trying to talk my son and his fiance into going along too. They are not yet divers, but are interested in getting certified. We'll see about them next.

Mark

Happy to see some other new divers on this trip.

Hello Everyone,

Please pardon my asking, but would this trip be appropriate for a new diver? I'm just going through PADI training now and will be certfied (I hope!) next week. Looking for my first dive trip and I think this one looks like a lot of fun. But is it for more advanced and experienced divers? Would a new diver "get in the way"?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

My wife found out the week after her open water cert dives that she was pregnant with our first child. 2 yrs later we attended the 2011 Cozumel Invasion and she had no problems fitting in with more experienced divers, and we had a great time.

Roatan will be a great trip for and Anthonys Key is top notch. Hope to see you there.

The Invasion Crew List & Map Have Been Updated
Official 2017 Invasion Crew List
In the Battle of the Sexes we are currently tied
49 Men & 49 Women

The State with the most members attending
Florida 33
Califorina 6
Kansas 6

For those still on the Fence there only a few
Rooms left and only 1 with A/C

DO NOT MISS THIS EVENT!!!

Mark

Mark,

Please let Beth know that my wife Edie doesn't dive either, but she is looking forward to some snorkeling and the dolphin activities. I just told her there's another non-diving spouse coming and she's thrilled.

Mark

Mark,

Please let Beth know that my wife Edie doesn't dive either, but she is looking forward to some snorkeling and the dolphin activities. I just told her there's another non-diving spouse coming and she's thrilled.

Mark

My wife is a non diver, but took up snorkeling at AKR during the last Invasion. She is really looking forward to the 2017 Invasion. BTW.... She is an avid hunter. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom