Scubaboard Book: Categories & will you contribute?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like we are making progress. I agree, one category should be Freshwater/Caves/Ceontes (sp?). So let's find 4-5 more everyone agrees on. Once we have those maybe people could pick one or two of their pictures that are not their best and would represent the "minimum quality" we are looking for. Once again I believe the more people who are involved the eaiser it will be to cover costs.

I have attached a shot that I feel that is way below what we are looking for. Would need to be much better lit and have to be taken from much closer.

I am off tomorrow for Shanghai, returning th 23rd. I will try to firm up some more of the costs and find out what format the printer want everything in. Still need someone to look into Quark programs.

Cool, I was worried my best pics wouldn't be up to snuff to the minimum standards :D I'm glad we have an idea on what to aim higher than. The pictures I have in mind using should be good enough :D

I would suggest - WA, wrecks, marine life, macro, cenotes/caves, divers, topside

I have at least 15-20 that I thik are "contributable", in all of these categories, but of course that is at the discretion of the publisher/editor. PM me if interested and where I should send them. I would buy at least 5 of these books and give them to friends and such. Especially if I had a shot of mine published.

On Categories. You could either go with a basic 5 or 6 categories already mentioned, or if you have enough submissions to do it adequately... By region.

I think it would be cool to have a book with Carribean, North Atlantic, North Pacific, Hawaii, Marhsall Islands, Indonesia, Red Sea, Australia, etc sections to somewhat highlight the differences between the regions.

Just a thought.

friscuba:
On Categories. You could either go with a basic 5 or 6 categories already mentioned, or if you have enough submissions to do it adequately... By region.

I think it would be cool to have a book with Carribean, North Atlantic, North Pacific, Hawaii, Marhsall Islands, Indonesia, Red Sea, Australia, etc sections to somewhat highlight the differences between the regions.

Just a thought.

Just what I was thinking. Seems that one of the biggest assets to this board is the diversity. People who live all around the world, and those that travel to distant destinations. Not sure how to do it, but maybe a "around the world" section to show how much variety there is in the world uw. And a little comedy is always a winner in my book. Something to make you smile when you finally put the book down.

I am willing to buy a copy as well, wether or not anything I submit is used or ends up on the cutting room floor.

Jet

Myself, I like the idea of breaking the world into territories, and then putting pictures together based on that. Different "specialty" areas like macro, pelagics, reefs, wrecks, caves and divers seems good too, but I'd rather have something organized so I could look at the photos, and then decide on whether its a diving location I'd want to visit (I don't think in terms of "I want to do this kind of diving, where could I go").

Rather than do things on a submittal basis, you might want to consider just getting a list of the highest rated photos in the member galleries. Sort those into the final categories, figure out how many you need, vote on the "best of the best" and then PM the photographers to find out if they're willing to have any given picture in the book. After all, the photos are all there already, and it would then represent what other scubaboard members have already acknowledged are the best photos. Granted, some people may not have posted what they feel are their best photos, but, hey, this would give them a reason to share. And you don't have to worry about someone being offended that you nixed their submission. If one of mine made the cut on this basis, I'd agree to have it printed. And, if the project is successful, it'll no doubt turn into a multi-release affair, so there will always be a chance to be in a future volume.

I've seen lots of good pictures that haven't been rated by anyone so applying rating standards alone might miss a lot out. Actually (hopefully without digressing too far) I wish more people would rate the pictures they look at - even if they are poor! It would give more feedback to people about how others see what they did.

FWIW. I don't mind contributing anything that anyone might want. I'd be interested in the book if all the costs stay reasonable. (and the shipping doesn't cost an arm and a leg!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom