Scuba vs Alligators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of " Lizzuds " in that river in the Summer.

Contact someone who regularly dives " Black Water " rivers looking for fossils. Cooper River, in S.C. is very popular for this. I have made many, many dives in there & never had a problem with a gator. There are many websites about Cooper River diving.

You should just be extremely cautious with these animals. These may be the only animals that a person should dive with that will attack both offensively and defensively. This is why even if you most extreme caution it doesn't guarantee anything.

Animals? Reptiles. I understand your point, just checking terminology.

I have learned a bit about gator behavior while diving the Cooper River in Charleston SC. I have dove it about 100 times. Of course there is the exception to everything I am posting below.

One of the first things I learned about gators is that they do not spend much time in the center/bottom of the rivers. There is nothing there for them. They prefer to hang around the edge of the river.

Gators are ambush predators. As a general rule they lay in wait.

Gators are scared of boats and it is hard to get near them.

Gators are most active in the morning sun and at twilight

Gators like tall grass or growth that hides them.

Gators stay in their territory which appears to be about a 50 foot semi circle. I am sure it varies.

If you go into a gators territory, he is likely to come investigate.

Gators like sunning in the afternoon and laying under the edge of the water

If you can, stay away from the edge of a river, especially where it supports tall grass.

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Crocodilia
Family: Alligatoridae
Genus: Alligator

There u go!

And as lee said "they're likely to come and investigate.. they'll come to u no matter how careful you are"

my point exactly

I know. Sorry I didn't see your post before I wrote mine. I guess next one will question that gators are 200 million year old species.

"WikiAnswers - Is a reptile an animal?
Alligators and Crocodiles question: Is a reptile an animal? a reptile is an animal."

Ha!! You be right...thanks for the clarification...I should have done more homework.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom