Scuba version of the oil change reminder sticker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never thought to put any sort of "oil change" sticker on a regulator that I ever serviced, over the years; and simply credit my clients with sufficient intelligence to retain their service records.

I have yet to be disappointed . . .

My Apeks regs (XTX50/DST) got their annual service last week. I was packing to dive Saturday and realized the reminder is the scuba equivalent of the oil change reminder sticker that goes on your windshield. :rofl3:

Had anyone else seen this on their regs? The shop that serviced them said it’s something newish.

View attachment 636437

They come in service kits. I never use them. Have seen on previously shop serviced regs I've serviced for "friends" though.

Checked one of mine just now.
Yep, good to go!View attachment 636451
Hate raining on anyone's parade, but...not good to go.
The environmental seal on your Apeks should be concave when unpressurized. Yours looks to be bulging just a little.
Why does that matter? Because as you descend, you need the Intermediate Pressure in your regulator to track the increasing ambient pressure at depth. The way that occurs is by the clear diaphragm pressing on your smiley face, which transmits ambient pressure to the diaphragm via a plastic piston.
In your case, that pressure won't get transmitted until that bubble under the environmental seal gets compressed enough to transmit force to the plastic piston.

Effectively, you're operating your second stages at lower intermediate pressure while at depth, which may make them breathe stiffer than they need to.

It's a common leak, and easy to learn to fix, if you own your own tank. What is concerning is that your shop may have delivered your reg to you that way, which means they assembled the seal while the reg was unpressurized, which is a rookie maneuver.

Hate to deliver uncomfortable news...

Hate raining on anyone's parade, but...not good to go.
The environmental seal on your Apeks should be concave when unpressurized. Yours looks to be bulging just a little.
Why does that matter? Because as you descend, you need the Intermediate Pressure in your regulator to track the increasing ambient pressure at depth. The way that occurs is by the clear diaphragm pressing on your smiley face, which transmits ambient pressure to the diaphragm via a plastic piston.
In your case, that pressure won't get transmitted until that bubble under the environmental seal gets compressed enough to transmit force to the plastic piston.

Effectively, you're operating your second stages at lower intermediate pressure while at depth, which may make them breathe stiffer than they need to.

It's a common leak, and easy to learn to fix, if you own your own tank. What is concerning is that your shop may have delivered your reg to you that way, which means they assembled the seal while the reg was unpressurized, which is a rookie maneuver.

Hate to deliver uncomfortable news...

Thanks rslinger!
If my reg was serviced at sea level, would being at an elevation of 3000ft account for the bulge?

Thanks rslinger!
If my reg was serviced at sea level, would being at an elevation of 3000ft account for the bulge?
Maybe 10-12% of the bulge could be attributed to expanding trapped air, yes. Atmospheric pressure at 3000 ft is 13.2 psi; at sea level 14.7.

The fix is actually quite easy: put your regs on a tank and pressurize. Unscrew only the last top ring that holds the clear seal. Flatten the seal gently, and screw the ring back on hand tight. Done.
When you depressurize, the seal should suck concave.

The only problem is if that top ring has corrosion on the threads preventing an easy unscrew.

Do you really do this in the US?:eek:
Don't you folks ever check your oil level and do all other basic engine checks from time to time? :)
Most vehicles have a time on the odometer now

My Apeks regs (XTX50/DST) got their annual service last week. I was packing to dive Saturday and realized the reminder is the scuba equivalent of the oil change reminder sticker that goes on your windshield. :rofl3:

Had anyone else seen this on their regs? The shop that serviced them said it’s something newish.

View attachment 636437
The sticker is part of the 1st stage service kit.
I usually monitor the IP regularly especially after a yr of use. Time to service when it starts to creep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom