Scuba Tank(s) holder for my truck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa have you have many divers notice your impressive set up while at a site or dock parking? It really is nice and finished looking. Not just a handyman special.

Thanks! I'll let you know after it goes on its maiden trip this Saturday!

I am thinking about adding slides below it to all it to extend out past the tailgate for easier lifting of the tanks.

Definitely overbuilt. Something I am typically guilty of. Fun projects non the less. I just finished building a 2" receiver hitch for my Prius, to haul a Thule T2 bike rack. Used my tubing bender and 1.75 DOM for the body of it.

Since the unit is bolted to the bed, have you considered putting a couple of eyes on the square tubing so you can use a tie down easily?

Definitely overbuilt. Something I am typically guilty of. Fun projects non the less. I just finished building a 2" receiver hitch for my Prius, to haul a Thule T2 bike rack. Used my tubing bender and 1.75 DOM for the body of it.

Since the unit is bolted to the bed, have you considered putting a couple of eyes on the square tubing so you can use a tie down easily?

You know the old saying, "If a little does a little good, then alot does alot of good!"

It's 1"x.083" tubing and pretty light weight overall. I figured it is better to build it stronger than not just in case I have to slam on the binders, I don’t want the tanks making an sudden appearance in the front seat or see them skittering down the freeway!

I’m also building a lock-in method so I can safely leave them unattended in the bed while diving or shopping.

You know the old saying, "If a little does a little good, then alot does alot of good!"
Most of the time yes...sometimes no. Apparently I, like you, prefer to have a solid object when finished.

I’m also building a lock-in method so I can safely leave them unattended in the bed while diving or shopping.
Even better :D

"nice rack you got there... :eyebrow:"

I like the 'kicker bar' at the front to hinder forward movement if you slam on the brakes.

how'd you bend the flat straps for the 'wrap' around the tank?

I mount a Generator in my truck from time to time and I needed a way to bolt it in so I welded 4 plates to the bed with additional support underneath. Each plate has a 3/8 16 threaded hole. The tank rack matches up to these holes.

I was curious about that also.... (beat me to the question and answer).

Not at all. However, if you plan on a production run, I'll expect my licensing fee.:wink:

Be sure to put a Dive Rite, OMS, etc sticker on them then so you can charge 3 times as much for the same exact thing.... :rofl3:

You could (as a suggestion):
1.) build another set of flat straps that are contoured on top, hinged with a padlock area.

2.) put a steel ring on below valve handle, lock cable to ring. (you have to drain tank, remove valve to put on ring. Of course this can be taken off in the back of your truck also, but would require draining tank again by thief, removing valve, etc. Most theives won't get something that is not a 'quick grab'. (draining the tank quickly makes lots of noise)).

"nice rack you got there... "
I like the 'kicker bar' at the front to hinder forward movement if you slam on the brakes.
how'd you bend the flat straps for the 'wrap' around the tank?

I have an 6”x .250” wall aluminum tube cutoff, (I’m making a DPV.) clamp the strap and bend around tube, the bounce back is almost perfect for a tank.

You could (as a suggestion):
1.) build another set of flat straps that are contoured on top, hinged with a padlock area.

2.) put a steel ring on below valve handle, lock cable to ring.

The latch system I’m thinking about folds up and over the valve end and securely latches down in the center. I really don’t want the ring around the valve, to many of the dive boats have them I don’t want to have an argument about who owns what tank, and they rattle!

Back
Top Bottom