Scuba stuff in thrift stores.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it 1961 US Divers Professional?

hoomi.. sounds as though your pretty lucky finding scuba stuff, you should start buying and selling.. its a great way to make alittle extra cash to buy the stuff you really want.

I would love to continue the confusing hijack with regards to the fact that I regularly rent 32% and 36% AL100 tanks from my lds that are not O2 clean and have no Nitrox bands, but the OP is content with this thread continuing as is so;

The Lahaina Salvation Army is a great stop every now and then; I scored my Balance BC for $20 there!

I would expect a AOW to know someting about nitrox.

I would, too, but I would not expect him to know everything.

I would not expect him to know about blending procedures and restrictions on tank filling, since those details are not covered anywhere in any training until the diver takes a nitrox certification class. The things this diver is accused of not knowing because of poor training are not covered in any of the classes he has taken so far.

And let's say he did take those classes. Nitrox courses generally do teach that a nitrox tank cannot have air placed in it. Many nitrox tanks do indeed tell you that you can only put nitrox in it. Why would you fault someone for believing what he is taught?

The truth is that you can put air in a nitrox tank, but it has to be highly filtered air, something with a typical compressor might not be producing. If that kind of air is introduced, it can leave behind combustible impurities that can catch fire when introduced to pure O2 during the first phase of a partial pressure blending process.

And yes, the partial pressure blending method does put air into the tank during that process, but, again, it is not normal, run-of-the-mill air.

I would expect a AOW to know that a Tank is a Tank is a Tank

I would, too, but I would not expect him to know everything.

I would not expect him to know about blending procedures and restrictions on tank filling, since those details are not covered anywhere in any training until the diver takes a nitrox certification class. The things this diver is accused of not knowing because of poor training are not covered in any of the classes he has taken so far.

And let's say he did take those classes. Nitrox courses generally do teach that a nitrox tank cannot have air placed in it. Many nitrox tanks do indeed tell you that you can only put nitrox in it. Why would you fault someone for believing what he is taught?

The truth is that you can put air in a nitrox tank, but it has to be highly filtered air, something with a typical compressor might not be producing. If that kind of air is introduced, it can leave behind combustible impurities that can catch fire when introduced to pure O2 during the first phase of a partial pressure blending process.

And yes, the partial pressure blending method does put air into the tank during that process, but, again, it is not normal, run-of-the-mill air.

My Nitrox course didn't have a darned thing about blending, etc. Just percentages and MODs.

My Nitrox course didn't have a darned thing about blending, etc. Just percentages and MODs.

It didn't tell you the different methods of blending and why partial pressure blending presents potential problems because it introduces pure O2 into the tank?

That is part of the PADI course and the TDI advanced nitrox course.

It didn't tell you the different methods of blending and why partial pressure blending presents potential problems because it introduces pure O2 into the tank?

As an early user of NITROX, I don't recall those options being discussed. Everything was done as a partial pressure blend, first emptying the tanks and starting from scratch. Pure O2 in first, topped off with air. We understood the perils of this, and all tanks were prepared to those (O2 clean) standards.

IANTD, 1993

:hm: . . . Don't remember, but chances are that went into the 'discarded' pile since I won't be filling tanks . . . so, don't know!

The fact of the matter is jim is right ! If an ADVANCED OW diver doesn't have an clue about tanks and 21% vs 32% they need more training !

What makes more sense?

Would you expect an AOW diver in my part of the world (Indonesia) where nitrox is pretty much non-existent, to be taught the basics of partial pressure blending, MODs, etc...? Or that they should taught to simply avoid ever diving tanks labeled for nitrox due to concerns with oxygen toxicity and drowning via convulsions until they take the proper course?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom