Scuba repair tech training (again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mweaver40

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK I apologize, I know threads of this type have been done many times before but I hope to get a little up to date information if possible especially from those pros out there in the industry. I want to become a professional level scuba technician. I have some idea what this involves having read the 2 primary books on the subject and having done a little regulator rebuild work. I know the best way might be to find a shop who needs help and work under a good tech until you get good but I don't know of any shop who needs me right now. I can go to training at places like Halls, Virginia Tech or a couple of others but here is the rub. I personally don't feel even 6 days is enough time to get competent and be able to do a good job on other peoples equipment. In addition these programs don't necessarily get you certified to work on a particular manufacturer's equipment. Would it make any difference to you shop guys out there if someone came looking for a job and had repair training from one of there kinds of programs? If it would do you have a preference for which training? Do you know any shops or programs who do an internship where you might get a large exposure to equipment repair? General internships would also be helpful since I would eventually consider buying into a shop. I also would like to be able to do oxygen cleaning and work on technical gear (manifolds, o2 clean regs, wings, drysuits etc).
Thanks

How is "Virginia Tech" a scuba training institution? I just graduated from there, and we had to fight to get the Scuba Club up and running again....much less the university teaching gear repair!

Having said that, 6 days isn't a long time to learn EVERYTHING. It's taken me a lifetime of working on it, and I'm still learning. However, if you're mechanically inclined and know some basics....you should be all set. There are things that require specific certification. Tank hydros require VERY expensive equipment. Tank visuals require certification to perform. Regulators are manufacturer-specific. I took the 2-day Hollis Reg Repair Tech course and am a certified tech for Hollis regs. I can tell you that I would feel confident opening nearly any reg you handed me and being able to take it apart AND put it back together.

By that same token, I feel confident refurbishing most scuba gear. As far as O2 clean regs, the manufacturers are the ones that really vary here. The Hollis HO2/220 regs (their deco regs) have to be sent back to Hollis to have them O2 cleaned. They (supposedly) have this ultraclean, ultraspecial process for O2 cleaning their regs. Some people say that's hokum. Some people won't NOT buy them. I'm certified to work on their O2 regs, but not to be able to certify them as O2 clean. O2 cleaning tanks is the same thing. Some people have very low standards, some people have VERY high standards. For wings, there's aquaseal and there are the exhaust/inflator valves. Both are simple. Aquaseal to ghetto-patch pinches, but really it should just involve replacing the bladder. Drysuits are simple in terms of the inflator and exhaust (Gamble walked me through mine in about 2 minutes...and the only reason I needed help was because I was afraid to take pliars to it). Manifolds are simple. Drysuits have no classes for repair, you just have to practice.

I think the most helpful thing to a shop is a small engine mechanic and/or diesel mechanic and certified boat captain....depending on the shop. Gas blending is another cert class that would help you out.

Thanks victorzamora, Appreciate the reply. I get it that it is not rocket science. Almost had an ideal opening in Denver before I moved away. Not much money but all the experience I could want. I might still check out one of these places and see how it goes. Worst case is I get some more experience best case I learn a lot. Got a gas blenders card but that's like most of this stuff nice to have but really what it seems to come down to is you need to put the time in. I can swear up and down I blended the gas right and it will still be off sometimes. The technician in the Philippines was always spot on despite some equipment that was not as good as I used. I thought about doing some votech engine training. I guess that translates pretty directly to compressor work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom