Scuba questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samcoult

Reaction score
I am wanting to learn to scuba there are 2 shops in my town blue region who uses SSI and rum runners who uses NAUI? Is one any better than the other and does anyone know anything about these shops?

I've been to both shops, and like Rum Runners quite a bit. You can tell a lot about the shop from the first vibe you get at a place. If they seem more interested in your wallet than you, and seem to have a know it all kind of attitude, my recommendation is to move on to the next shop.

Rich

I have never been to his shop ( it is a little ways from Charlotte) But Doc is active on another forum and he really seems to be a nice guy. Just the impression I have gotten from his activity to conversations. Best go by both and form your own opinion but I don't think you can go wrong @ Rum Runners
Butch

i've been to both, and second rich & butch. go, look around, check out the vibes for yourself...

...then pick rum runners! :D

and to answer your question about the agencies...no, one isn't any better than the other. The shop and the instructor are more important than the agency they use every time.

Welcome to SB, you have my comments on another board but I agree with the other posters.

I wrote out a nice long response on NC divers, but basically my vote is for Rum Runners. I've been to both. Rum runners has a large gear selection, knowledgeable and friendly staff, and as mentioned actively participate in a positive manner in on-line forums.
Blue region on the other hand has a nice fish tank.

Both shops offer scuba lessons. It boils down to the instructor. Both agencies are recognized and both are accepted world wide. I have been to both shops and prefer Blue Region as their knowledge and support is above others in the east. You should visit and which one you feel comfortable with is the one you should go with. Blue Region has been in the area for 24 years and RumRunner for only 3. The travel program with Blue Region Scuba is more extent with exotic trips and local trips that stay full. Guess that says a lot about them and their training.

Blue Region has been in the area for 24 years and RumRunner for only 3.

Is sounds like you don't know the shops very well. I've been going to RumRunner (and Blue Region from time to time) for at least 5 years, and I know people who have been using RumRunner since the 70's.

In any case, I agree with you about the agency being less important than the instructor. I also think it serves OW students well to have some actual ocean dives as part of their training. There's so much good diving off the NC coast. It's not for everyone, but it's a shame that some divers decide to either skip NC diving or bash it to sell trips.

Rich

In a way RR is new, Doc purchased it a few (3?) years ago but then again it has been around for some time under other owners. Rich, have you looked at BR's web site lately? The NC bashing is gone and has been replaced by a glowing report.
Just curious NCinstructor, what shop(s) and agencies do you teach with? And welcome to the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom