Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkenph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

I live in Cebu, Philippines and I am looking into getting a second pair of Regulators. My current Regulator (Zeagle Flathead VI) I really love. But, after I had order them the local dealer stop supplying them and doing service on them. My Dive Buddy is suggesting that I either look at either getting Scuba Pro or an Aqua Lung regulators. Since both are widely serviced down here and there wont be any problem getting either one serviced. So, what I am looking for (it may sound silly). But, I am wanting the option of diving cold water since I am from the US and a very easy breathing reg. I have looked at the Scuba Pro Mk17 and either with the A700 or the 600 reg.
1st question: Which company do u think would be the best to go with here in the Philippines Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung? (for parts and service,etc)
2nd question: Which 1st and 2nd stages would you suggest from both company's? And why?
Thank you for your time and help
Kurt in Cebu

Hi Kurt,

I can't really speak on aqualung since i don't own one but i can say i was very happy with SP mk17/g250v (until it went missing) , and you can easily have it serviced in the PI.

Option 3, learn to service them yourself then there is no need to replace the Zeagles.

Between AL and SP there is little real difference, assuming you buying similar models. Decide which you like the best for what ever reason- price/style/cute girl behind the counter and buy that one. With WW service and the good reputation of both companies, either is fine.

Hi,
I will learn to service them. But, one of the main reasons I am getting another set is. My wife's nephew wants to learn how to dive. And my wife would kill both of us if I bought him new regs. So, I am planning to let him use my old set and buy myself a new set. That way she wont say anything. Other than the money being spent.
Kurt in Cebu

Since you already have one of the best cold water regs in the Zeagle.....and servicing is no problem where you will be diving cold......why not get a low cost Scubapro or AquaLung to use as a back-up/loaner to use in the Philippines?
MK2 or MK11 Scubapro
Titan or Apeks XTX20

I would start with:

1. Who are you planning to buy it from? I know there are alot of SP and AQ dealers in the Philippines. If you can buy either from the same people then we go to the next step. I want to underline the importance of your relationship with who you buy it from. If you have issues they can help you, even when it comes time that you decide to work on it yourself, who would supply you the parts and the know how to do it?

2. I own a SP MK25/G250V, I live in Minnesota and dive under the ice. Yes it isn't Alaska, buy the water is still cold. We had issues with the MK20 first stages back in the early days, We ( 5 of us) use the MK25/G250v's for all our diving (cold or warm) I have buddies that us the Apex DS4 XTX50 as their back gas systems. I also know a couple of people that use the Legend's too. I don't have any personal opinion on the SP MK17. I know its a Diaphragm 1st stage just like all the Apeks and Aqualung regs.
If you go with the MK17/ go with the G250V 2nd stage. It is the updated version of the old G250 which Apeks/ Hogs/ DiveRite/ Atomic 2nd stage mimic.

3. A700 looks pretty and cool, wait till you have to work on it, same can be said on the S600, the G250V is simple and is proven, so If I like the G250V I also liek the XTX Apex and the Legend/Titan LX 2nd stages.

Lastly, if you are going to learn how to work on your regs, and they are used by somebody else but you... make sure you have the right tools, right parts, and somebody to mentor you. I am not against DIY, but learn how to do it properly. Owning a manual / how to do it book doesn't qualify you to overhaul regs without mentoring. Some people on the forums make it appear that it is the easiest thing to do. It isn't easy if you do it right. It takes time and experience to do it right.

Jim

Last edited:
I'm a SP guy so I second the advise above; the G250 is my preferred second stage.

But if you want to keep the Zeagle, AL makes sense as long as you stay with the upper end models, like the Titan LX or the Legend because they are similar to what you already have. The second stages are nearly identical, and not much different from the upper end SP's.

I would start with:

1. Who are you planning to buy it from? I know there are alot of SP and AQ dealers in the Philippines. If you can buy either from the same people then we go to the next step. I want to underline the importance of your relationship with who you buy it from. If you have issues they can help you, even when it comes time that you decide to work on it yourself, who would supply you the parts and the know how to do it?

2. I own a SP MK25/G250V, I live in Minnesota and dive under the ice. Yes it isn't Alaska, buy the water is still cold. We had issues with the MK20 first stages back in the early days, We ( 5 of us) use the MK25/G250v's for all our diving (cold or warm) I have buddies that us the Apex DS4 XTX50 as their back gas systems. I also know a couple of people that use the Legend's too. I don't have any personal opinion on the SP MK17. I know its a Diaphragm 1st stage just like all the Apeks and Aqualung regs.
If you go with the MK17/ go with the G250V 2nd stage. It is the updated version of the old G250 which Apeks/ Hogs/ DiveRite/ Atomic 2nd stage mimic.

3. A700 looks pretty and cool, wait till you have to work on it, same can be said on the S600, the G250V is simple and is proven, so If I like the G250V I also liek the XTX Apex and the Legend/Titan LX 2nd stages.

Lastly, if you are going to learn how to work on your regs, and they are used by somebody else but you... make sure you have the right tools, right parts, and somebody to mentor you. I am not against DIY, but learn how to do it properly. Owning a manual / how to do it book doesn't qualify you to overhaul regs without mentoring. Some people on the forums make it appear that it is the easiest thing to do. It isn't easy if you do it right. It takes time and experience to do it right.

Jim

Hi,

There are a bunch of dealers down here. If I go with Scuba Pro I will goto the shop my Dive Buddy uses alot and can get me a discount. I prefer getting an Apex xtx200. Which there are places that services them here. I am just concern if I am at a place and something happens to my reg I just want to make sure it can be fix with no big hassle. Plus, I am now involved Locally with a Rescue Unit as a Diver.
Thank you again for your time and help.
Kurt in Cebu

Back
Top Bottom