Scuba Pro MK16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmps

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have decided to include ScubaPro in my reg purchase list. I had decided on AL but need to give SP a look. I plan to do mostly warm water diving but may end up diving in Lake Michigan here in Chicago. I am sticking with these brands because of world wide service availability. Here are my choices:

1. AL Legend (Decided I don't need an adjustable effort reg)
2. AL Titan LX Supreme (have been told LX is needed but I don't understand why regular Titan unbalanced is not as good with balanced 1st)
3. SP MK16 (with either R190/390 unbalanced or 550 balanced. Sounds like R190 is a great value even if bigger)

Any thoughts?

I have a Titan LX. The Titan first stage is balanced meaning it delivers the same intermidiate pressure to the second stage regardless of tank pressure & depth. The Titan second stage is not balanced, so when you go deeper you will be working harder to suck that constant pressure out of the second stage. When you move up to the Titan LX, you get a balanced second stage meaning that not only will you get constant pressure at any depth, but it will also be as easy to take a breath at depth as at the surface. (The cracking effort). Depending on the water temperature/composition you may or may not need the environmental kit.

If you are going to go with the MK16, you'll need to pair it with the S550 as the r190/390's are also "downstream", which is another word for unbalanced. The MK16 is supposed to have a T.I.S (thermal insulating system), so you don't need a kit with it no matter what. It is also over-balanced, meaning that not only will it maintain your intermediate pressure, but as you go deeper it will actually increase your air. The scubapro is a little more expenive, but most people will tell you there is little difference in breathing from the Aqua Lung.

The MK16 has two "high flow ports" which are supposed to deliver more air than standard LP ports, but the Titan has what they call the "Air turbo system" which is pretty much the same thing. Also, with thick gloves on, the Titan LX has a much easier to grip Venturi knob than the s550.

Of course if you want a fully adjustable reg, you'll need to move up the the Legend LX or the s600 (i beleive).

The best thing to do is test them out at your LDS if you can, to see which one you are more comfortable with.

Also, the Legend is the same second stage as the Titan LX, (just looks different), but the legend first stage is over-balanced, giving you the mk16 benefit.

Plus, the MK16 and Legends look way cooler!!

I also think that the Titan LX is your better option here as the balanced second stage will provide better breathing performance at depth. If you are not financially concerned the Legend takes it a step further with an overbalanced first stage.

I belive that the MK 16 is the "hidden jewel" of SP regs CHEAP, balanced, TIS, what else could you ask for.

WaterDawg:
I belive that the MK 16 is the "hidden jewel" of SP regs CHEAP, balanced, TIS, what else could you ask for.

I was all set on the ALs until I started looking at SP because of guys like you. :) When I started paying attention to SP and doing some more research I am coming to the same conclusion about the MK16. It appears to be leaps and bounds better than the MK2 performance (if not simplicity) wise for not much more.

I hear the MK17 is coming to the US. LP has the MK16 paired with the 390 for $200. This seems like an amazing price for a hidden gem. I would like to get it via the LDS route and hope to find one on clearance when the MK17 is released. I don't see much advantage to a sealed double diaphram on the MK17. Otherwise I will go the LP route and eat the parts. My understanding is that parts with the MK16 shouldn't be that high.

After reading DA Aquamaster in some threads on balancing (who makes a lot of sense to me) I think the 190/390 unbalanced should work well since the MK16 should keep very stable IP. Maybe a bit more effort but not much. I know this contradicts some on the boards but I just can't see why, given constant IP, it makes any difference whether air or a spring balances a 2nd stage as long as the spring is adjusted right and maintained. But then again I am a pig headed ex physics major pretending to be an engineer.

I am warming to the idea of this hidden gem. Can someone recommend a SP dealer in the Chicago Western 'burbs? (I'm not sure if that is OK or not to ask here) I envy those who have ScubaToys as a LDS.

If you can find the MK16 w/ a s550 that would be a great set up too. DA knows his stuff whenit comes to SP regs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom