Question SCUBA PRO D420 OR APEKS MTX RC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calabash digger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got the itch to try a new reg...Dirty water diving...I am running a mk 19 and g260...if I buy a 42O who is going to adjust for me? I read the 21 page thread on the 420..Which one ?

Offhand, I would keep the g260 and trade the Mk19 for a Mk17 (while it's still available) or a Mk11. Or even a Mk2. Or an old Conshelf 1st.
I've never had a g260. I'm just going by reputation. I do have a Mk11 and a Conshelf SE. I regularly dive the Conshelf. Unless you're prepared to get emotionally involved with the d420 I'd stick with a more conventional design.

I have a MK 17 as a back up...Actually I have had 3 MK 17S ...I like the MK 19 as good as or better. Why do you say trade the MK 19 for a MK 17?

I have a MK 17 as a back up...Actually I have had 3 MK 17S ...I like the MK 19 as good as or better. Why do you say trade the MK 19 for a MK 17?
Diaphragm. Resistant to debris. Reliability. Easy rinsing. I do the maintenence on my regs and find diaphragm regs more intuitive.

Diaphragm. Resistant to debris. Reliability. Easy rinsing. I do the maintenence on my regs and find diaphragm regs more intuitive.
MK19 is sealed diaphragm first stage with 5 ports on swivel turret.

The D420 is the best breathing second I’ve used, MK 19 or 17 it comes down to the turret, personally I prefer the 17because it’s more compact, recently switcher the Sherwood SR first stages a sealed piston.
to make it more compact I’ve located this flat swivel
3233FFC3-67C7-4C2A-B124-4083051E0E17.jpeg

it shortens the reg by about 1/2 “
B9EC2515-0B4F-4ED8-BA25-F8ABD000D983.jpeg

D9D27190-F1E3-4EBF-83FA-F859A373FC64.jpeg

Your Mk19 is an excellent diaphragm first stage. I have both the G260/Mk19 that I am using in my avatar and the D420 tuned by Rsingler. Both are excellent second stages. I dive the G260 way more than the D420. No real reason other than I am just use to the way the 260 breathes compared to the D420. Once you get into Mk19/G260/D420/600 or 620ti you are basically spliting hairs and it just depends on how they are tuned. I have all those..plus the Mk17. I also have 2 of the Atomics ST1 tuned by rsingler. I also have an Atomics M1 And an Apeks XTX200/FSR tuned by Rsingler. If I had to split hairs the Atomics ST1's breathe the easiest..then the G260/Mk19/ApeksXTX200/FSR next is the D420/Mk19 and then the SP600/620...I forgot I also have the Deep 6 signature series regs and they breathe super easy like my G260. My wife was diving that reg but she said the second stage was too heavy and caused jaw fatigue. That is how I ended up with the ST1's That is just my unscientific opinion. I have been certified since 1977...doesn't make me an expert..it just means I have had a lot of years to try all sorts of regs...back then I dove Sherwood Maximus and ultimately Poseidon Odins and Cyklons

Thanks for your knowledge..I picked up a inline adjustment tool . I am going to learn to tune my own regs hopefully..I will let my buddy at the shop service them. I also picked up 2 more g260s used for a great price....I would like to send Rsingler one of the 260s to tune...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom