SCUBA & my 11 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

another congrats. My son, 12 almost 13, is still not quite 'ready' for diving. Interested, yet still apprehensive. I can only wait for the day...
My son is 12 as well, he will be 13 in April. We weren't sure how he would react to the sensation of breathing underwater. Although he isn't quite a "natural" and had a moment of controlled panic, to my surprise he did much better than me. While my husband and son were tooling around the bottom of the pool having a ball I was struggling to stay underwater. You know in class when the instructor says "a small number of people will find that small tinge of claustrophobia they didn't know they had"? Yep, that's me.
We are almost done with pool work and will try our skills in a bigger puddle next week.

My 14 yo son did drysuit training a couple of weeks ago. Early February off the coast of Massachusetts? 36 degree water? Ouch. I worried he might struggle a bit to keep up with the 5 adults in his class so I stuck around to watch. When I saw the instructor helping a diver get to shore my heart sank...until I realized it was one of the adults being towed. Turned out son was the only one of the 6 in the class able to demonstrate all skills on the first dive. 3 were able to complete the course on the second dive (son got to take it as a rec dive) and 2 of the adults had to return the next weekend for more training.

Son started as a SSI Scuba Ranger. I'd recommend this type of kids' class for anyone with a timid or underaged offspring.

My daughter was certified when she was 11. She's 13 years now; an avid diver and keen uw photographer. Check her blog <<Mayang>> - Home hopefully will motivate other juniors.
Her sister is not cerified yet; can't wait till end of Agust when she's 10 for her jr. OW. She has logged approx. 50 ocean bubble maker - her blog is here melati luv diving

Both of them are competitive swimmer; so very comfortable with water.

For all you folks getting your 12-13 year olds certified.

My youngest certified at age 12 and this summer we are doing the PH liveaboard in Belize for her high school graudation present.

See it can pay dividends to the parents too!

BTY: Took my oldest to COCO View for hers!

Can anyone recommend a dive shop in the Palm Beach, Dade or FL Keys that specializes in Open Water for children? Am in WPB now and will be headed down to the Keys soon and would like my son to complete his Scuba. Thanks, SD.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop in the Palm Beach, Dade or FL Keys that specializes in Open Water for children? Am in WPB now and will be headed down to the Keys soon and would like my son to complete his Scuba. Thanks, SD.

Hi Student Diver,
Try reposting your request in the FL Conchs Forum, the locals should be able to direct you to a good dive op that works with children. I know that SeaCamp in Big Pine Key trains kids to dive (ages 12-17) as well as other water sports. www.seacamp.org

Good luck.

Elena

Is your child over 12? Is so I strongly recommend Ranger Rick. Ex special forces who believes any one can teach diving, but it takes some one a little different to teach the art of diving. PM me if you want his info. He is also hooke up with a great boat and captain "The Wetter The Better" Capt Bill Walker.

My son was also certified at 10 and he's been diving for almost 3 years. We both just completed our advanced course. I won't dive without him! I couldn't ask for a better travel and dive buddy.

What you said. My daughter and I got certified when she was 11, after we tried a resort course in Cancun the summer of 2005. We were both hooked, and signed up for lessons the day after we got home. We had our cards before she went back to school in August. She just turned 15, we're taking our 4th trip to Cozumel together this October, and I LIVE for the time that we spend diving together. Just her and me, nobody else in our family has the slightest interest in getting wet. It has become a wonderful Daddy/daughter activity and I will treasure these times forever.

all of my daughters (ages 16,12 and 10) are certified.

We all just did a week in Cozumel and had a blast!

Back
Top Bottom