SCUBA & my 11 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GNX Guy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Our SCUBA Crew participated in the OW certification last Oct & Nov. My son was 10 at the time and took the class too (as a non-scout of course) and did better on the written test than I did. On Nov 17th & 18th Up here in Illinois we went for our 4 open water check out dives. Water was 47 degrees at its warmest and 45 at its coldest. Way to cold for my skinny 10 year old son with a wetsuit that was too big. OK, so the other 5 of us went on to complete our dives.

Fast forward to July of this year, myself and a few others from the Crew complete our dives for our AOW certification. My son, now 11 makes his 1st open water check out dives. I was along for the ride and support. Myself and the dive instructor were shocked at how well he was able to complete all the required tasks. I could not believe it. I figured he would have some trouble. WOW.

This Friday, he finishes up his last check out dive. Hopefully, if all goes well, he will have earned his Jr. Open Water Certification. :)

Joe

My son was also certified at 10 and he's been diving for almost 3 years. We both just completed our advanced course. I won't dive without him! I couldn't ask for a better travel and dive buddy.

Our SCUBA Crew participated in the OW certification last Oct & Nov. My son was 10 at the time and took the class too (as a non-scout of course) and did better on the written test than I did. On Nov 17th & 18th Up here in Illinois we went for our 4 open water check out dives. Water was 47 degrees at its warmest and 45 at its coldest. Way to cold for my skinny 10 year old son with a wetsuit that was too big. OK, so the other 5 of us went on to complete our dives.

Fast forward to July of this year, myself and a few others from the Crew complete our dives for our AOW certification. My son, now 11 makes his 1st open water check out dives. I was along for the ride and support. Myself and the dive instructor were shocked at how well he was able to complete all the required tasks. I could not believe it. I figured he would have some trouble. WOW.

This Friday, he finishes up his last check out dive. Hopefully, if all goes well, he will have earned his Jr. Open Water Certification. :)

Joe

...we need more young divers. I have five children that all our serious divers. Those that started young are all exceptional divers. My only challenge was more son had no fear to the point of being recklous. Luckily, he has grown up to be a great safe diver.

Good Diving,

Dave

My daughter, age 13, just got her PADI OW cert. We were in the Florida Keys as Trop Storm Fay arrived. Post-storm dive conditions were awful, but she got her cert.

Mission Accomplished---------he is Jr. Open Water Certified. :)

Trimix2dive,

How were the Key's? I'd like to take my son and not sure where to go. Are there some shallow ship wrecks or nice coral for pix's? Any suggetsions on specific dive sites and dive operators? When is the best time of the year to travel?

another congrats. My son, 12 almost 13, is still not quite 'ready' for diving. Interested, yet still apprehensive. I can only wait for the day...

Back
Top Bottom