Suggestion Scuba Market Place

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
grouchyturtle

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
The threads in this section, should be set to expire or deleted after a few weeks. There are way too many old threads in there for items that may no longer be available.

I've replied to 3 threads about video lights, 2 of them over 2 weeks ago, with no response. Also sent PMs with no response. Both of these users registered a while back and the threads for the gear they were selling is their only posts.

Odds are the lights have been sold. If someone isn't contributing to the board in any way, only registered to try to sell gear, and is to lazy to update their posts or respond at all, then that post should be closed or deleted.

If the gear is still available they can start a new thread.

We do just about everything we can to get old items to go away... users are allowed to close their own threads in marketplace forums and we have minimum post requirements just to use the area. Obviously some people come to do a fly by promotion and that is no good, we try to screen that out but there is simply no way we can tell if a user participates in the community or is just advertising (they may be actively using pms to discuss topics, uploading photos, searching or using features besides posting). Any suggestions on this subject are more than welcome, you have already given me a few ideas for things to change next week.

Well here are the 2 I noticed.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t61097-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=79770

One registered on 11-26 and his last activity was 11-30, (his original post was on the 26th and he replied on the 30th)

The other guy registered on 6/20 and posted the gear he was selling, and last activity was all the way back in August.

I don't think it's really an issue of fly by promotions. Most of them seem to be individuals selling used gear. It just seems to be irresponsible/lazy people.

I'd recommend maybe even putting a restriction on posting in this area, like a limited number of posts before you can post in there, for example.

Then at least the users selling gear would be people we all know. Even if you've never dealt with a seller before, or they've never sold anything before, you could at least look at some of their other posts, to get an idea of who you may be buying from.

If someone is going to sign up here just for a one time sale chances are they're doing it on other sites too (aka: spamming all the scuba message boards) If that's the case let them sell their gear on ebay.

Thanks for taking some of this stuff into consideration.

Yah, an expiring time limit would be OK, I haven't bothered to search out a couple of my sold items.... yet. I keep putting it off for that "spare time". :wink:
60 - 90 days max maybe? Heck, 30 days would be OK, though I have bought stuff from ads several months old...

Back
Top Bottom