Scuba Magazines...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

72 issues, beautiful pictures, great articles, all free and all downloadable for reading offline.
X-Ray Mag | International Dive Magazine

This magazine (the Canadian "Diver" magazine) also lets you have a few issues for free
DIVER magazine

A very great deal of Scuba Diving magazine's old content can be found on their website if you following subject links for things like "Training", etc.

Likewise, a very great deal of Diver (the British magazine of that name) magazine's content can be found on their website. This page's links will keep you busy for a while and has some fabulous stories: (page 1, 1-40 of 125 items) General Diving

Last edited:
To find info for Sport Diver (which I assume you get through a PADI membership since buying each issue monthly at the stand is pretty expensive ($4.99) compared to the membership ($29.00/1 yr.) which includes the Sport Diver subscription) back issues, look to the last pages of the magazine where the ads are and you will see one for ordering past issues ($6.50 for mag and shipping.)

Sport Diver and Diver mags are also available at: Magazine Sport Diver read online, download free pdf
Not sure if there is a fee for this or not. It does say read free online, but you have to register first.

Haven't looked in many years, but a large library in your area may carry and hang onto past issues of diving mags, if you're looking to read and not own them.

I havent forgot about you. I found about 15 issues this weekend, still digging for more. Had a busy weekend so I didnt really get time, but I will look tonite and see what I finbd and pm you to see if you want them.

To find info for Sport Diver (which I assume you get through a PADI membership since buying each issue monthly at the stand is pretty expensive ($4.99) compared to the membership ($29.00/1 yr.) which includes the Sport Diver subscription) back issues, look to the last pages of the magazine where the ads are and you will see one for ordering past issues ($6.50 for mag and shipping.)

Sport Diver and Diver mags are also available at: Magazine Sport Diver read online, download free pdf
Not sure if there is a fee for this or not. It does say read free online, but you have to register first.

Haven't looked in many years, but a large library in your area may carry and hang onto past issues of diving mags, if you're looking to read and not own them.

Thanks for the info on where to find the back issues of Sport Diver. I at least want a lot of the ones from the past 5 or so years. That will be a great place to start. I imagine if I lived some where like Florida you can probably find a lot of past copies in libraries and thrift stores.

I havent forgot about you. I found about 15 issues this weekend, still digging for more. Had a busy weekend so I didnt really get time, but I will look tonite and see what I finbd and pm you to see if you want them.

Sweet! Yes, please let me know the final verdict and just let me know the cost, I will more than gladly oblige. Thank you again :D

i honestly havent been home much this week, so if youll just pm me your address Ill just throw whatever I find in a flat rate box and send it your way. No need to reimburse or anything, its only like $5.

My diving-related reading interests lie in the vintage era of underwater swimming and I've found plenty of free back issues of diving magazines to satisfy that interest.

1. The Historical Diving Societies of America, France, Italy and Sweden provide free downloads of back issues of their respective journals here:

Historical Diver/The Journal of Diving History, USA (1993-2013): Browse by Issuing Agency - Aquatic Commons
Ichtyosandre, France (2004-2013, some issues missing): L'Ichtyosandre - Ichtyosandre
HDS Notizie, Italy (1995-2015): HDS NOTIZIE | The Historical Diving Society Italia
Signallinan, Sweden (2009-2015): Signallinan

2. The first, December 1951, issue of Skin Diver magazine can be downloaded from here: http://tinyurl.com/oo24y2c

3. Royal Navy Diving Magazine, Volumes 1-16 (July/Sept 1951-December 1970). Volume 1 Number 1 is 5 months older than the first issue of "Skin Diver"! Location: RN Diving Magazines

4. The London Diver, Volumes 1-2 (May/June 1959 - Sept/Oct 1960). 8 issues. Location: Historical Chronicles of London No. 1 Diving Club

5. A complete run of the Russian journal Спортсмен-Подводник [transliterated as "Sportsmen-Podvodnik" and translated as "Underwater Sportsman") has been posted online for free download. Scans of every issue of the journal between 1962 and 1991, documenting Soviet diving across the sixties, seventies and eighties are available from: Спортсмен-подводник. Журнал о подводном плавании. ВСЕ сборники СПОРТСМЕН-ПОДВОДНИКа ..

If you're interested in the front covers of past issues of the world's diving magazines, see the Scubaboard thread at Back issues of Historical Diving Societies' journals

I would be grateful to hear about any other online scans of back issues of diving magazines documenting diving in the fifties, sixties and seventies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom