Scuba Lessons Jax expelled from PADI--students left in the lurch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IIRC, there was another instructor handing out fake PADI cards a year or two ago. I believe he had no PADI affiliation and had issued around 300 cards he made himself with PADI s logo on it. Not the same guy.

Wasn't he in Miami?

Great. An instructor who causes PADI to certify possibly unsafe diver is actually an opportunity to SELL more training to correct their error.

Great. An instructor who causes PADI to certify possibly unsafe diver is actually an opportunity to SELL more training to correct their error.
LOL. Your anti-PADI bias is showing.

LOL. Your anti-PADI bias is showing.

I suppose it depends on your point of view. Realizing that PADI didn't provide the training, I understand PADI's point of view. Someone who sees the local shop as an extension of PADI might see it differently. Most open water students don't understand or care how the industry is structured.

I suppose it depends on your point of view. Realizing that PADI didn't provide the training, I understand PADI's point of view. Someone who sees the local shop as an extension of PADI might see it differently. Most open water students don't understand or care how the industry is structured.
And in any real world situation (Hardware stores, auto dealerships, RV Sales, etc.), the "parent organization", who are arguably provides Quality Assurance for all of their dealers and distributors, would at least throw the poorly trained diver a bone, giving them the materials for the next course at no cost, just like Ford would provide a car dealership with parts for a recall, whether you bought the car from them or not. It would cost PADI nothing, and would make all of us with a PADI bias our jaw drop.

But the PADI stereotype holds true..... And yes, I understand that PADI did not provide the poor training, and yes, I understand that PADI did eventually (after some years and the BBB got involved) boot the instructor. Still, PADI has a great opportunity to do the right thing here, and once again, they chose a different path.

Well, I'm clearly not the only one who was thinking that!

Wookie - I agree with you on that. PADI as an organisation could and probably should have stepped in with a "goodwill gesture" of at least reducing the cost by the amount of course materials/certification or by subsidising the remedial course instructor.

Most people don't know how the industry is structured and don't care so this reflects badly on PADI as the umbrella organisation.

Yeah pretty much. If I remember correctly it was in Doral.
But IIRC that dude wasn't issuing PADI cards or representing himself as a PADI instructor. He was issuing his own cards and using PADI training materials. But I may have it wrong. I slept in my own bed last night, and no where near a Holiday Inn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom