Scuba Knives on the Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well since box cutters and everything else have caused people problems with airports, will my scuba knife cause problems with a cruise? Who goes without their scuba knife? I also thought about bringing my leatherman tool just for quick fixes of things, it is always handy. Has this been a problem for anyone? I was thinking about just picking up a new Titanium one on the ship (if they have them), just to avoid any potential problems.

darylm74,

Pack all tools or knives with check-in luggage at the airport.

I didn't have any problems with the crew on my cruise but others on my cruise who volunteered information about knives, got their knives taken away. Some will take the knives and ask you retreive for the dives. I think it varies also by cruise line.

Yeah, NCL (at least) will confiscate them at the first re-entry point at their Xray stations. The embarkation team let it pass (I asked about our knives before we ever got on board). The NCL Gestapo collected every dive knife in our group upon reentry in Coz. The fact that it is a recognized safety item didn't sway them. Like I was going to use a 3" dive knife blade to hijack the ship in Cozumel and ram the Pentagon, especially when the 6" extra sharp steak knives were so readily available :sneaky: <sarcasm off>

BTW, I had extra (UK Remora) and stashed it in a small metal box for subsequent dives. That passed under their xray vision. I wouldn't be so angry about it but the Security team for the NCL Sea thought they were God's gift to mankind and no-one, certainly not their customers, had any value but to be securitied (sic) on... They wouldn't even allow them to be washed; several of my groups were quite rusted when picked up 4 days later...

If you aren't the subversive type, I would suggest several pairs of EMT Shears.

PS - The Sea was a ratty boat, small, cramped, loud (engines sounded like they were missing a few spark plugs), and hit every wave like a surf board. Nothing like a Disney or the typical Royal Caribbean ships.

I was aboard a Carnival ship (paradise) out of FLL in Nov, and My wife had her DK in her checked baggage. No problem with the Airlines getting there from CA, but when we got aboard and into our room, we had a message in our room to come down to the bowels of the ship. We were worried as we had hidden some gin in our bags and that is a no-no. When we got down below in some cargo part of the ship, they asked us to follow the security person off the ship. This was not looking good. We followed him off the ship, and they never told us what the problem was ," just follow us sir" Kinda thing. when we got onto the pier, they took us over to where the checked bags are checked aboard, and asked us to ID our bags. After we had done that, they tore through it and asked us if we had anything to declare, so we came clean. They found the DK, and confiscated it. We had to go ashore at every port, and they would give it to us, then we could/must give it back, prior to boarding the ship or the tenders.. They were very serious about that. I found it funny that they thought someone might be able to take over a cruise ship with a knife, yet reassuring as well knowing they are doing a very thorough job. Funny thing was, booze is not allowed onboard by the Cruise line, but the bags were searched by the TSA people, so they could give a rip if they find booze, they are only concerned about weapons/explosives, Etc. We didn't even bother with the knife during the trip as it was a pain to go get it, and when we got off at the end, we picked it right back up, and we were on our way. no problems.

diverrick:
After we had done that, they tore through it and asked us if we had anything to declare, so we came clean. They found the DK, and confiscated it.

Is it now a rule to declare dive knives ?

While normally I would not dive without a DK, for dives on cruise ship, I would not bother. I do have a shears that is perfectly acceptable to all security (if I did carry it) as it is the typical sea sherars that are blunt (to say the least).
I have done 4 to 6 dives a year on cruise ships for last 9 years. I havn't been in a place where there was any entanglement issue on any cruise ship dive.

yogi_tala:
The NCL Gestapo collected every dive knife in our group upon reentry in Coz. The fact that it is a recognized safety item didn't sway them. Like I was going to use a 3" dive knife blade to hijack the ship in Cozumel and ram the Pentagon, especially when the 6" extra sharp steak knives were so readily available
It sounds like a combination of shears, plus liberating a steak knife each night will take care of your problem. :bounce:

Lets see, over the past years I have always carried my BC knife ( Remora) with no problems. That has been on RCL, Princess and HAL. This December I will be on a NCL ship to Mexico.

Don

Anyone know how Disney is on knives?

Texasscuba:
Anyone know how Disney is on knives?

I work at WDW, and they do check bags, if they see it they will take and hold it, if you ASK they will take and hold it.

If you are diving at living seas the only piece of your own equipment they allow you to take is your own mask if you have prescription mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom