Scuba Junkies Mabul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeSullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have a review of Scuba Junkies Mabul? I heard they are one of the better dive resorts for experience and also pricing?

We stayed with them a few years ago and loved the whole experience. They were very very busy , but very very organized. The guides were great, sat down with you in the evening to do log books. The diving in Sipadan is to die for and around Mabul it's very good for macro and lots and lots of turtles? We loved the communal eating and the bar upstairs. The bungalows are great , the VIP AC deluxe has a big beach facing balcony. We fully intend going back at some point.

Is there shore diving at the resort??

There are a couple of reviews just 10 threads earlier in this forum. Starting from here:

Whats the word on Scuba Junkies?

They're pretty good. I was there in the earlier part of this year and would dive with them again next time I'm in the area. Good focus on safety, nice mix of foreign and local instructors/dive guides that leads to a very multi-faceted experience. Good value for money compared to most other resorts on Mabul, though they aren't the absolute cheapest. One issue is that they are always relatively busy and their guests are very dedicated divers, so there are few "extra" Sipadan passes. Some other dive shops regularly have passes to sell because they can't use up their quota.

There is shore diving from Scuba Junkies' pier. If I recall correctly, there are two sunken boats within easy swimming distance from the pier where 3 huge green turtles and a lot of other marine life regularly hang out. There was another dive spot in the other direction from the pier as well, but I don't have log book with me to jog my memory of what was there. Also did a night dive from the pier.

I have dived with scubajunkies twice. I am not sure about the comment above regarding dedicated divers. During our first stay the other guests mainly seemed to be backpackers, ticking off Sipadan and diving on their list. We felt a little isolated as serious divers; other guests seemed to be very transient. That saying, I had no great complaints about their organisation or safety issues. I do not remember any shore diving on offer from their Mabul resort (i did ask). I also remember being on Mabul for 8 days with no idea when our slot was coming up for Sipadan, which was frustrating. Accommodation and diving seems to be reasonable. I am a little confused at the moment how the diving on Sipadan is costed. They advertise 3 guided boat dives at 300 to 350RM per day.. very reasonable. The price of Sipadan diving is more confusing, and only seems to be available as a package. Breaking this down it seems to cost a whopping 1000RM for a day, excluding 40RM for the Sipadan permit. I am not quite sure how this is justified? I am currently enquiring with another operator to see how this compares. I would dive with them again, but want to clarify some of the costs involved.

Last edited:
Sipadan limits the number of divers to something like 120 per day, and these are given out in very limited quantities to some of the resorts in the area, Scuba Junkies being one of them. This means the resorts really have to ration them to their guests, resulting in requirements of staying X number of days before getting a guaranteed Sipadan permit.

What I meant by "dedicated" divers is that the average Scuba Junkies diver won't miss their guaranteed Sipadan permit slot, resulting in Scuba Junkies having few extra slots left. Other resorts tend to have divers that are more willing to miss their Sipadan slot, resulting in the resort having leftover permits that they sell off to anyone willing to pay for it. I stayed at Scuba Junkies for 5 nights and went to Sipadan only once with them. Other people have stayed with other resorts and dived at Sipadan every other day during low season.

One positive thing with Scubajunkie is their efforts for the environment and working with the local community next door, around turtle conservation etc. Seems genuine. Have no fish on the menu, "fish are friends". Diving well organized but pretty busy and perhaps with a bit of a general traveler feel and harder to get to Sipadan due to their volumes vs number of permits. Would recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom