Scuba in Squid Game

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maj2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In case anyone is watching, episode 7 of Squid Game on Netflix involves the (brief) use of scuba and a DPV.
Let’s just say that the dangling SPG is not even close to the top of the list of disturbing aspects of the show.

Ohh… and Episode 8 brings to mind a (once) legendary thread on Scubaboard that I cannot find at the moment— one about shooting a scuba tank…

Ohh… and Episode 8 brings to mind a (once) legendary thread on Scubaboard that I cannot find at the moment— one about shooting a scuba tank…
Is this the one?
and then there is the MythBusters version: MythBusters Episode 235: MythBusters vs. Jaws

Is this the one?
and then there is the MythBusters version: MythBusters Episode 235: MythBusters vs. Jaws
Nope.
It was called “I would love to see a tank explode” or something to that effect. Circa 2005. It degenerated into a “MOF/NMOF” kind of lengthy disaster, and has probably been scrubbed like the “manoeuvre that shall not be named” images of the same era.
Needless to say… the tank shooting in the show was just as exciting (or less so) that the old thread.

I have shot several propane tanks, they did not explode. Just a big stream of escaping gas.
I don't know how a air tank could explode.

I have shot several propane tanks, they did not explode. Just a big stream of escaping gas.
I don't know how a air tank could explode.
The pressure in propane tanks is only 100-200 Psi, compared to 3,000 Psi in scuba tanks. So I don't know how fair such comparison is.

Plenty of scuba cylinders being shot videos. They are super energetic but the damage to the tank usually just an entry (and occasionally an exit). What would be interesting to see would to have a full cylinder tossed in metal recycler. THAT would be interesting. Aside from being really dangerous, if would probably damage the machine. But it would make for an epic YouTube video…

The pressure in propane tanks is only 100-200 Psi, compared to 3,000 Psi in scuba tanks. So I don't know how fair such comparison is.
But propane is highly flammable, and explosive. Air and Nitrox are not, but I see your point.
I do have personal knowledge, of someone who was killed by an exploding 100%, O2 tank in a dive shop.

But propane is highly flammable, and explosive. Air and Nitrox are not, but I see your point.
I do have personal knowledge, of someone who was killed by an exploding 100%, O2 tank in a dive shop.
Propane is not explosive by itself, its mixtures with air (2-10%) are. So to make it explode, you need to shoot a tank in a closed room, wait till it evaporates through the hole, then strike a match and...boom!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom