Scuba in Britain & the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to buy new, I got a discount at the Birmingham show. It wasn’t massive but it made a custom suit a bit cheaper than the same model but off the shelf.

The hardier members of my club have continued to dive up to 2 days a week right through the winter, this can be in lake district, capernwray or scottish lochs. The bulk of the club members are in hibernation and I have not dived in UK since October, If its a nice day I will probably dive capernwray on good friday. Talking to uk divers abroad there are quite a number who have pretty well given up diving in the UK. They find the diving better and very reasonably priced in Portugal and the Canaries. It is the weather rather than the water temperature that put me off UK diving. The club went up to a scottish loch about 2 weeks ago, diving was good but the weather was appalling making changing out of the back of vans very unpleasant.

I’ve been in a few times this year in Capenwray, but not as much as I’d like due to Northerners not living up to their hardy reputation and chickening out at bad weather. I think I tied with the club DO for the first dive of the year.

It’s beautifully quiet at the inland sites at the moment but I think the sea will have been a write off so far.

Interestingly in my other hobby of sailing the RORC has moved the Fastnet Race, their biggest event of the year, to early August due to worsening weather in late August in recent years.

Personally I have to agree re sea lochs. Fantastic shore and boat diving, and if you pick the right ones virtually immune from having a dive cancelled. Its just a pity that being 300 + miles away I only manage a couple of trips there a year. Due to closeness I have to vote for North Wales, but it is subject to the vagaries of rain, wind and tides. I do not get to the south coast as often as I used to. I like the independence, not having to follow a guide and wondering whats just around the corner. The joy of being semi naked as it snows at night for a shore dive cannot be over stated.

...and after last weekend's taste of summer (50+ dives made from my club's rib) it's back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom