Scuba in Britain & the weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, my first post here.

Certainly in the south west where I live there's been few opportunities for diving. I did go out with my club on the James Eagan Layne in January but the planned weekend dives have mostly been cancelled since. Nearby Prawle Point is currently having 50 mph gusts!

It was fine in the flooded mine I was in week before last...

It was fine in the flooded mine I was in week before last...

I suppose one could call Britain a flooded mine. Bit harsh, don’t you think?

Sooo...when is the weather the most stable? I want to get out to the Farnes Islands but want to hedge my bets on the time of year with the best weather. Right now I’m roughly planning for Sep or Okt. Thought?

In general I would say you are more likely to have better, more stable weather in Sept than Oct, but it goes without saying that nothing is guaranteed.
I always consider Sept to still be the tail end of summer, whereas Oct can be nice but it is definitely starting to feel much much like Autumn, becoming colder, windier & wetter!
As a caveat, I live on the south coast, the other end of England to the Farne islands, and I haven't been to that part of the country for nearly 40 years, let alone dived there, so it may be best to hear to wait for a response from someone with more local knowledge.

It's probably best to contact a local dive op for the Farnes.

Down here (opposite end of the country) there's shore diving in sheltered Torbay but vis isn't wonderful. My next dive is rescue training in the pool. Vis isn't great there either but it is warmer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom