Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so I plant a rose bush in the city park (out of the way so it doesn't inhibit other activities, blah blah blah). Is it a weed? Stop being a POV warrior and twisting the analogy to meet your idealisms.

They are putting some tasteful art that will eventually become home to coral and other sea life on the reefs in some dive locations around the world. Is this "litter?" No.

All I'm saying is that you can place a geocache in the ocean in a way that is inconspicuous, doesn't hamper marine life, and doesn't spoil the dive experience. It's not like you're going to have a bunch of them all in the same place.

And no, I don't geocache.

Cool!
My wife and I will start our OW class in two weeks, and being the avid cachers we are (we use the same username "Lefty Writer"), so naturally I'm thinking long term here and looking for potential scuba caches close to home. The bookmark list you provided has shown a few caches near where some family lives in SAT.

Thanks for the links!

I started a thread a while back about this but forgot to actually do it. I don't know of any personally but I've heard there are a few out there. My idea was to take a brick and some rope anc onnect that to a hook. Then connect a pelican case to that hook. The geocacher would snorkel or scuba down and unhook the pelican case. It could def. work. I still might do it.

I already have a location in mind and its in key largo at the end of a canal.

Thanks for all of the great info. Now I know where to start picking up the garbage and placing it in the dumpster.

Thanks for all of the great info. Now I know where to start picking up the garbage and placing it in the dumpster.

You really think geocaches are the problem? They are placed and maintained with care where they don't present danger for marine life or the divers.

These are not abandoned items and present less harm to the environment than wrecks off coast of NC.

You really think geocaches are the problem? They are placed and maintained with care where they don't present danger for marine life or the divers.

Oh, okay, let me dump a pile of garbage in your front yard. It won't present a danger to you or your family. I'll call it "geocaching" and everything will be fine.

Oh, okay, let me dump a pile of garbage in your front yard. It won't present a danger to you or your family. I'll call it "geocaching" and everything will be fine.

1. This is not a pile of garbage.
2. It is not in your front yard.

There are clear guidelines on placements and disruptions. You probably pass several caches on a daily basis and don't even know they are there. Geocaching creates more clean environment than it does pollution. Many parks and other public places are cleaned on a regular basis by geocachers.

Basically you are flaming people who more than likely take out more trash than you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom