Scuba Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I am going to add virtual geocaching to our scuba diving simulator ...
I like the idea of having a notebook hidden in our virtual dive sites and people that find it can write their name on it .... and move it around too.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

DiveNav, I can probably get you a list of UW geocaches and their coordinates so you could place them close where they are supposed to be in the real life.

DiveNav, I can probably get you a list of UW geocaches and their coordinates so you could place them close where they are supposed to be in the real life.

I like that :D

Also, it would be nice to have a description (images better) of the various geocaches.

So far we have dive sites in SoCal and Florida

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I like that :D

Also, it would be nice to have a description (images better) of the various geocaches.

So far we have dive sites in SoCal and Florida

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Two bit overlapping lists:

Geocaching > Bookmark Lists > SCUBA caches

Geocaching > Bookmark Lists > SCUBA

Many have description.

I only had the opportunity to find one for now.

GCT98H Underwater SCUBA Cache at Breakwater in Monterey (Traditional Cache) in California, United States created by jmunch, fox51

Picture of it:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/thumb/16861abf-e1f2-45e3-91ac-18ab76f30224.jpg

and pic of it opened:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/thumb/0b857ca4-bdec-4aac-8c11-9ec280e44b1c.jpg

There are other images:

Geocaching > Hide and Seek a Geocache > Geocache Gallery

But I only took the first two mentioned here.

Hey! i'm a fellow geocacher as well. I think its legal to put one underwater and am acutally planning on putting one in key largo in about 20 feet of water, so someone can scuba or freedive it. let me know what you find out.

Randall

I'm considering placing one in Himalaya Bay, Sonora, Mexico next time we go down there.

Land geocaching has led us to some awesome locations, where we've seen things we probably would never have found had we not been looking for the cache.

We frequent Yellowstone Ntnl Park. It is unlawful to place a physical geocache within the park, so "virtual" caches are placed. These may be view points or unknown geysers or whatever a cacher finds interesting. Why not virtual scuba caches? An interesting rock formation, cave opening, bottomed boat? How would one sign the log under water?

I dont know if its part of geocaching, but there is some stuff hidden down at Dutch Springs, PA

"Virtual geocaches" could be sites that are visited and recorded using photos or videos that could be posted online. Visitors follow the coordinates, visit the site, whether it be on land or underwater, document their visit with images and upload the photos to a site (most geocache sites have galleries).

I can see docs point, any introduction of anything no matter how small and inconspicuous in the underwater environment is litter. So my solution is a virtual geocache.

my idea is to list a geocache as normal. however there will not be anything there you have to take a picture of the spot and post it to get logged, and I will mail you a coin. cant cost me more than a few dollars on postage. :D

After reading the geocache rules I think this may not be allowed. however I have another solution. All I have to do is find something existing in a location and use its name or some other bit of information about it to make a clue to a code that leads to a location with a log and a cache, like a hotel or something, I bet the hotel will be happy to support my cache as it has people visit.

If the rules allow you to mail a coin for a successful sighting then i will do that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom