Scuba Gear Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johntt1986

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Im almost certified for scuba diving and i was wondering if anyone has suggestions for gear besides my fins, snorkel, weightbelt, and mask

I also look foward to doing advanced diving

So can u give me some configurations of gear (try to be general not specific manufacturers.)

as for my other stuff i have a plain weightbelt, mares Plana Avanti Quattro fins, cressi matrix and a problue snorkel

rent it and dive it. If you like it, buy it.

Ya'know, on one level there are some significant differences in equipment and how they may perform relative to other equipment, under specific conditions. On the other hand, in a general sense the vast majority of average-level stuff works well enough for most people. So, I believe you need to first consider what types of diving you may be doing, under what conditions, how much you are willing to spend, what features you want/need, and then use that to start narrowing your list of available choices for further research or testing. There is myriad of stuff out there. My suggestion is to take your time in making your selections, and then search for the right dealer/price to make your purchases. This process alone is inherent with learning opportunities and can only serve to enrich your love of the dive life.

However, I think people sometimes lose sight of the fact that a lot of what scuba equipment is all about is life support. That doesn’t necessarily mean that cheap equipment won’t keep you alive. All I’m saying is sometimes you get what you pay for, and for my money I want the best life support equipment that I’m able to obtain.

As far specific suggestions are concerned, that’s not always an easy one. Like a lot of things, some of this is going to be subjective. I could recommend all sorts of stuff, but that doesn’t mean that it will work for you. You may not like, or even need, a specific feature, while I may see the same thing as very beneficial. Here’s a list of some of the stuff I’ve acquired. Like I said, none of this may be for you, but at least it may be a place to start. Go check’m out:

BCD = TUSA Imprex Pro 3D Cubic BCJ5900
Fins = TUSA X-pert Zoom (stiffer blacks)
Reg = Atomic Aquatics B2 w/ M1 exhaust-T
Octo = Atomic Aquatics SS1
Mask = Mares X-Vision (black skirt)
Exposure = Scuba Pro Everflex Steamer 3mm, and a Pacific Steamer Dive Skin 0.5mm for the Tropics
Knife = ScubaMax Ti (blunt end)
Computer = Suunto D9 w/ hoseless AI transmitter
Snorkle = AquaLung Impulse Dry Flex
Gloves = Henderson HyperStretch
Hoods = Henderson HyperStretch Full & Tilos 1mm Beanie
Weights = Soft
Booties = Warmers Delta II Boots, Henderson HyperStretch Boots, and TUSA Low-Tops
(Plus other various other bits and pieces)

This all works great for me, and like a lot of people it’s an evolving list. I’m always on the hunt for new stuff. It’s part of the fun of Scuba for me. I hope this helps at least a little bit in getting you started.

Best of luck to you!

i had the same questions several months ago regarding equipment purchase.

one good method would be to rent and try out what you like.

I didn't opt for this method myself.
it is very hard to figure out what equipment is the best for you to buy.
Remember this is life support.

Major considerations:
1. your budget.
2. your equipment fit (this is especially important for the BCD and the exposure suit)
3. where you plan on diving (warm tropics, cold water, etc.)
4. How often will you go.

This board is a great resource, but before I bought I went to several dive shops to try on different equipment before I settled on what I bought.

This is an expensive sport to get into initially. But it has been very rewarding for me.

This is what I bought:
SeaQuest Balance
Atomic B2 regulator
Atomic SS1
Scubapro AirZ Nitrox

Good luck.

Rent until you can buy the right stuff. Go with the BP/W and steel tank. Cressi-Sub Big Eye mask (black rim). You're 1/2 there...........enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom