SCUBA Gear Maintenance and Assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Everyone,

First of all - happy 2013. Second of all - I bought myself a set of SCUBA gear as a Christmas gift, and after ordering I wanted to educate myself on a few things (in retrospect, I should have educated myself first then ordered but I have a ton of time).

First: How does one assemble a simple regulator/octo/pressure gauge/BCD hose setup? Assuming the parts are in the box and ordered from a registered dealer of a brand. From first to last step, how would you inspect and assemble these new products?

Second: Once assembled and utilized, what are the general guidelines for maintenance on said gear? People say annual regulator servicing is necessary, but from what I've read there seems to be a lot of issues with techs not servicing the gear properly. Any advice on that?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Edit: For clarity, I don't mean assembling all of your SCUBA apparatus (tank, bcd, regulator) but primarily the regulator system with the octopus/reg/pressure gauge/bcd hose. In addition, when I say maintenance, I do not mean washing it after each dive and storing/caring for it the correct way, I mean the potential for needing it to be serviced by a professional that opens up the gear to give it a look.

They never taught me how to assemble brand new gear from the box. Both instances where I got certified just showed how to put together an already-assembled regulator setup (the simple screw-in on the tank) and hooking gear up. They never taught how to actually assemble every single piece into the unit that is then screwed onto the tank valve.

Then you need to seek out a mentor or a LDS....

sorry, no intent to "insult" you. However, gear should be "set up" with assembly. First stages can (and should) be adjusted so the output pressure is matched to the inlet pressure of the second stage as sometimes the factory is only slamming them together for the distributor retailer (who should "tune" them). Other than that, proper lubrication (there are some materials that should not be used), is also necessary depending on how it left the manufacturer or how long it has been sitting on a shelf).

You are right to be asking questions.....

No insult taken, I realized I wasn't 100% clear with my first post, and I appreciate any help I can get! Fortunately I'm near a few dive shops that can help me out for a price. I just want to know what should be done regardless, and how long it might take.

Fortunately I'm near a few dive shops that can help me out for a price.

That is the "penalty" for not buying from them.....

Shops are not "evil", and as you learn, you will also realize both "pluses" and "minuses" of being associated with them. Prices include (or should) such assistance, and since periodic maintenance is necessary, their role may be of importance. That being said, they need to earn your trust.

Proceed with caution, ask questions, and don't just trust one source (LDS or Internet).

Yeah the thing is I ordered from scuba.com (dubiously able to provide *timely* care, but eventually everything gets there and I am in no rush to put it all together before a dive), and figured I'd have the gear assembled either by myself (bad idea) or a LDS for a bit extra. Thing is Scuba.com has severely lower prices than any LDS and most of the other places online, so I figured it was worth my time in this instance. I was just hoping to learn a bit to see what should be done, because this gets more technical than the simple "screw this on this plug this into this unscrew air and you're set!"

Edit: Wanted to add that I appreciate your input

Scuba.com generally assembles the gear you order from them. When I ordered an ST1 and SS1 set from them ages ago, the whole thing arrived assembled and ready to go. I may have needed to attach the computer console hose to the HP port myself, or they may have handled that too, can't remember.

[h=3]All Regulators are Fully Assembled by Scuba Instructors[/h]At Scuba.com all equipment is fully assembled by a factory trained certified scuba instructor before you receive it. Unlike other dive centers (even possibly your own local dive store) where you may find anyone, even possibly an uncertified diver, assembling your equipment. At Scuba.com a scuba instructor assembles everything and all you need to do is add air and water.

There was no specific mention of it being assembled, but I can hope so if it was! Assuming they assemble it, should I go straight to testing it in a pool or have it re-inspected? I decided to locate a Mares dealer nearby (Scubanetwork) just in case for the long term regardless. I got a Mares Nemo Matrix, not air integrated (I have a bias against having my pressure gauge tied to my computer... for now. If I get into technical diving and all that I would probably want it).

Thanks for the advice so far!

If you get into tech diving the tech instructors I'd train with would not want you diving air integrated. Goes against the simple is better train of thought and adds multiple failure points. Plus they are not worth the hassle and money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom