Scuba Diving's "Top 100 Reader's Choice Survey" is in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been to one of those places, and it wasn't even a good dive because we had an awful dive op :(

Oh well the others are def on the list, gives us something to look forward to in life :D

Is it just me or did Curacao just rocket to the top of the lists. What changed? Maybe I just didn't notice it in the past.

Is it just me or did Curacao just rocket to the top of the lists. What changed? Maybe I just didn't notice it in the past.

the problem with that list is that it is based on 'reader ratings' alone. So the more people that log onto Scubadiving.com and fill out a rating for a trip, the better the scores. Knowing this, I am sure many resorts get their employees to do this so sometimes places get much higher ratings than they should. I do try to log on and fill out a rating every trip we go on myself, so I am included in that data somewhere! :D

All that said, I agree with most of the ratings even though I haven't been to all of them. I have many diving friends and some have been diving longer than me and have been just about everywhere. So I base my feelings on my experiences and theirs.

robin:D

"Top Dive Destinations"
Top 100 Readers' Choice Survey - Scuba Diving Magazine

Like RobinT said above....

A popularity contest that is merely a tabulation of the volume of readers who have been and therefor vote. The higher the number of visits, the higher the number of votes.

People love to love where they just went.

Not reality, but interesting.

Yeah but who the hell is going to Curacao? I find it hard to believe that the volume of divers is that great. If that theory were correct then Cozumel would lead the list every year because of the greater volume of divers. I seem to remember a couple of year ago the US Virgin Islands led the lists. Having been there several times I was frankly astounded.

Yeah but who the hell is going to Curacao? I find it hard to believe that the volume of divers is that great. If that theory were correct then Cozumel would lead the list every year because of the greater volume of divers. I seem to remember a couple of year ago the US Virgin Islands led the lists. Having been there several times I was frankly astounded.

I think you don't understand how the ratings work. The form asks questions and you rate on a scale of 1 to 10 various aspects of the diving. They have a minumum volume of customer ratings needed to make the report....... so it isn't that the Place with the MOST ratings gets the highest marks, it is just the average of all ratings received.
So........if the minimum is 20 reports and all 20 people give 8s and 9s to Curacao, and 500 reports on Cozumel where the customers give 7s and 8s........Curacao is rated higher than Cozumel (even though more people reported on diving in Coz.)

If you go to ScubaDiving.com and go to the Reader Rating page you can fill out the form and you will understand the rating system better. I really do try to do a report for every trip we go on.

As I said before though, if you get employees of resorts and dive ops filling out the reports giving themselves 10s, I figure my honest reports will help move the scale back to reality.

here is the place you do the ratings:
Reader Ratings - Scuba Diving Magazine

I think you don't understand how the ratings work. The form asks questions and you rate on a scale of 1 to 10 various aspects of the diving.

To be fair, it is called "Reader's Choice". they did not title it as "World's Best" or similar... they blamed it on their readership.

Where it really falls apart for me is in the "critters" and "wrecks" section.

If you have been to all of these places- if you have the ability to actually see what there was to see- the results are topsy turvy.

In "Top Wreck Diving", Oahu beat out the Red Sea. Really? I think it's more a function of the narrow perspective of the readership... most haven't been to the Red Sea to notice what was there. Maldives and Los Roques wasn't even on the list. They're smeared with wrecks, although not as easy access as the red Sea would be.

"Top Wreck Diving"? Bikini Atoll didn't quite make the list. Why? Very few can put it together to get there. Further validation.

"Top Marine Life" showed Galapagos tied with Palau. How did that happen? The Galloping Pogos has six things that you go to see. Palau is a painter's palette of marine life. The similar rating in "Top Big Animal Encounters", now- that made sense. But saying that these two are tied for first in "Top Marine Life"? Somebody is smoking their socks. Same exact deal for "Top UW Photo". Galapagos = Palau. really?

"Top Marine Life" Utila showed up, why? The hope of Whale Sharks. The advanced diving and observational abilities required to patiently appreciate the diverse macro on the South side of Roatan? That kept it off the list.

"Top Advanced Diving"? Apparently no one has been to Tobago. Luckily, the island's condition itself shows that is the case. Stay away, you won't like it :wink:

"Top Shore Diving"? Who could argue with the island nation of Bonaire? But curiously, Roatan also shows up on the list. Roatan has de facto only one real shore dive arguably shared by two resorts. So... two resorts (essentially) are right in there with an entire nation. Interesting little oddity. 1 versus 100, indeed.

In that same category, the Maldives didn't even show up. Of course, the North American reader, if they have even heard of this treasure, only know of the liveaboard option. In fact, the vast majority of dives there are shore dives. Once again- it's a bulk familiarity contest.

Now here's the ugly truth:

All your hard work in voting eneterd you in a 1 in 1,000,000 chance at the big pot of gold prize. What the magazine got was much more valuable.

They got market research (admittedly skewed) as to what their readers know about and want to hear more about. Let's face it, SDM is not in the business of distributing altruistic truth about new and adventurous destinations for your log book.

There are incredible dive spots out there ripe for the doing that you will not hear about. Why? Because no one is there to buy advertising (which in turn causes splashy photo spreads and articles). One causes the other. How many "top ten must do dives" in Cozumel did you want to see published in a year?

They are selling advertising.

With this survey, they will knock on the doors of potential advertisers that are in these zones or islands and say, LOOK at this money that could be yours. Just advertise with us and.....

Aint nothin' for free... just see it for what it is. :eyebrow: And hey- it worked! Got us talking about it, right?

I completely agree with you Roatanman on some points.... SCM is basically an advertising magazine for dive resorts and gear manufacturers. I don't buy based on their reports. Ditto the articles to a certain extent. The Readers Ratings reports I do look at, and I do consider points to a certain extent, but I do take some with a grain of salt. (I learned about this when several years ago, Jamaica showed up on the top 10 list - it caused quite a riot on their forum... that is where i learned about the "minimum' number of ratings needed to make the list)

I love the photos though and they do show info on new gear or places I might never have heard about. As far as commercial magazines, it is still the best out there IMHO.

I completely agree with you Roatanman on some points.... As far as commercial magazines, it is still the best out there IMHO.

And that would be the main point upon which we disagree! :rofl3:
:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom